• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Municipal Bank

My local one was in Perry Barr not far from the Library I can remember it smelt funny and the counters were high, I had to stand on the brass foot rail and still couldn't see over the counter. Mind you I was vertically challenged I think I still might have to stand on the foot rail now

I have been given some Carl Chinn press cuttings which may be of interest to forum members. Please note the cuttings are not dated and detailed so I cannot provide a correct reference source. These will be copyright Carl Chinn or the newspaper which, I presume is the Evening Mail? I have only scanned them for members to read and enjoy. It may help preserve the articles for future reference.

Here is an article on Neville Chamberlain and the Municipal Bank, along with Lee Longlands ......

Attachments

• Carl Chinn - Broad Street [1].jpg
    Carl Chinn - Broad Street [1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Carl Chinn - Broad Street [2].jpg
    Carl Chinn - Broad Street [2].jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Carl Chinn - Broad Street [3].jpg
    Carl Chinn - Broad Street [3].jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Carl Chinn - Broad Street [4].jpg
    Carl Chinn - Broad Street [4].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I opened my first Bank a/c at the Municipal Bank Aston Cross about 1944/45 after starting work. Eric
My first bank account was opened at their branch on Bordesley Green, near Blake Lane.I would be about 7/8 years old. There was a long counter made of wood which was quite wide.I suppose it needed to be because of the large ledgers that were used to enter the account transactions. Not a lot of money in my account but an important lesson to learn to save.

My first bank account was opened at their branch on Bordesley Green, near Blake Lane.I would be about 7/8 years old. There was a long counter made of wood which was quite wide.I suppose it needed to be because of the large ledgers that were used to enter the account transactions. Not a lot of money in my account but an important lesson to learn to save.
I did the same at Erdington Municipal Bank, Station Road.

Mine was this one, once the Bham Municipal Bank. Don't know how old I was but I think my account would have been opened before I was 11. And I think (a) bank is still there on the site with altered street level frontage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_222047_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_222047_Chrome.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 23
I can't believe I haven't put in my tuppence worth on this subject, but I did a search and nothing was found. My first account was at Acock's Green, 1111, Warwick Rd. the sort of number you remember. Probably around 1945. I too remember the wide wooden counters and the brass foot rail, what was it for if not to enable little boys, and girls, to see over the counter. My first bank book was beige though later I had a blue one. Don't remember the significance I too had one of their money boxes. We lived with my mother's parents during the wartime and I had a great number of great aunts and uncles who we would visit and their threepence gifts would be deposited in my money box and how they mounted up!.

My first account was at the branch on Lozells/Villa Rd across the road from Hazelhursts Chemists shop. The bank was next to a men’s store that sold suits and stuff like that I could not afford.

My account at the Shirley Branch was opened by my Grandad when I was a baby.
The savings gave me the deposit for my first car. I was lucky enough to be given pocket money by that Grandad and the money went in my BMB money box and then to the bank.

My local one was in Perry Barr not far from the Library I can remember it smelt funny and the counters were high, I had to stand on the brass foot rail and still couldn't see over the counter. Mind you I was vertically challenged I think I still might have to stand on the foot rail now
Sure there was a branch a the Yew Tree Yardley opposite the Yew Tree pub same side as Yardley Junior and Infant School.

I can't believe I haven't put in my tuppence worth on this subject, but I did a search and nothing was found. My first account was at Acock's Green, 1111, Warwick Rd. the sort of number you remember. Probably around 1945. I too remember the wide wooden counters and the brass foot rail, what was it for if not to enable little boys, and girls, to see over the counter. My first bank book was beige though later I had a blue one. Don't remember the significance I too had one of their money boxes. We lived with my mother's parents during the wartime and I had a great number of great aunts and uncles who we would visit and their threepence gifts would be deposited in my money box and how they mounted up!.
thats odd jim..i put in birmingham municipal bank and this thread came straight up...glad you found it though

lyn

Back