• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Municipal Bank

D

dollyferret

moms decided to get rid of some old hand bags(and i thought it was only me who kept things).this was in one,its my bham municipal bank book,i dont remember it.on may 24 th 1952 ,i deposited ten shillings and six pence,on the same day i took out nine shillings and six pence,(set the pattern for the rest of my life)its says i still haveone pound fourteen shillings and six pence left,wonder if its still there.also in this bag is a copy of grannys and grandads marriage certificate for the purpose of an insurance policy(1915,living at 108 inkerman st nechells,married in 1909),its a bit fragile,can anyone tell me if there is a DOWNSIDE of having it laminated so it doesnt deteriate any further,i would hate it to fall to bits now after all this time

If not laminated it, i would suggest you put in an acid free plastic pocket for certs, this will stop you handling it, and keep it from getting any more fragile.I got mine of Ebay.W.H Smiths do sell them, but in packs of 100!!

Dollyferret I was looking through my mom and dads belongings and I have got the same savings books my dads from 1948 has still got 6d in, I,m sure I read somewhere that there are thousands of account that have a small amount of money in and people can claim it plus the interest.

The Municipal was bought by Trustees Savings Bank, now part of Lloyds. it would be interesting to find what sort of return you would get now for your £1 14s 6d Pete. :)

The Municipal Bank was started at the instigation of Neville Chamberlain, he raised the idea in Parliament and against some opposition the Birmingham Corporation Savings Bank was opened to help with funds for the war in 1915, after the war the name was changed to the Municipal.

Dollyferret, I have my Municipal Bank Book from the old Brookvale branch.
That branch used to open on Saturday mornings in the l950's and my brothers and I used to go and put a few shillings in for savings for presents, etc. I always hated going there even with my Mother since the Bank Manager seem to dislike anyone who wasn't an adult. We were not made welcome at all which was sad because it took years to get over the way the Manager and staff behaved.

We never made any noise and it always seemed like a visit to the Library not to somewhere where you were giving them your money. The ink they used was of poor quality and in those days they had pens with nibs as well.
It was all hush hush and mottled glass divides on the counter and large sheets of blotting paper! No other area within the bank to be private.

Thanks for posting your bank books Dolly.

I've still got mine and my late Sisters books and our Branch was the Brookvale one on the corner of Brookvale Park Road & Brookvale Road, Co-oP on the other corner:)

I still have my book and little black BOAT SHAPED money box ( from 1945 ASTON CROSS BRANCH)which you had to take to the bank for them to open with the master key.
Mom joined me when I was 5 years old.
MORE HAPPY MEMORIES BOUGHT BACK TO LIFE BY THIS SITE
THANKS ASTON

I had my mortgage with the municipal bank. it was a fixed rate of four & a half % over twenty years. best rates you could get anywhere.

Gosh i wish you could get a mortgage at 4.o5% over twenty years now. My son recently took out his mortgage, fixed at 5% for two years, and the rate has gone up three times already.

:D:D:D:D:D:D I'm not sayin' anything!!! Folks......this is the guy who used to come up to his mates (he didn't have many) and say "Do I owe you any money?" and if you said "no" he would say "Well can I?"
I reckon that bank book is a forgery.:D:D

Hi Yes Used To Have One Of Those Iron Money Boxes You Took In To Be Emptied I Used To Go The One On Warwick Road In Acocks Green.

John

hey frank i owe you a quid but yer too far away ,so i spent it,

There are Millions of pounds unclaimed from banks and building societies Forgotten or lost over the years, you can make a claim, if you have the documents. Strange how they never write and remind you, but you owe them a penny and it's a different story

Same with the Unclaimed Wills & Estates lists they used to publish in the London newspapers. There were huge sums of money in some of those lists.

Are the metal money boxes worth anything as my dad has just found their old one when he was clearing out his loft?
Also does anyone know where they can be opened nowdays?
Many thanks

FIRST-time buyers struggling to scrape together a deposit on a house may soon receive a helping hand from Birmingham City Council.
Officials are developing a plan which could see the council offer top-up mortgages to people who cannot afford to get onto the property ladder.
The aim is to bridge the gap between the maximum 75 per cent of the cost of a house that most banks are now prepared to lend and the 90 per cent-plus mortgages that were commonplace before the credit crunch.
An un-named financial institution is talking to the council about ways in which the scheme could work.
The initiative is part of plans to reinstate Birmingham’s municipal bank, which closed in the 1980s.
But the council insists it will not fall into the trap of lending to people who cannot afford to keep up repayments.
A briefing note by city finance officers states: “This service would definitely not be entering into the sub-prime market, but would assist those who are able to afford the repayments but not able to find the substantial deposits now required from mortgage lenders.”
The service would benefit first-time buyers who cannot afford the deposit of about £40,000 required for a £166,000 average-priced West Midlands house.
The paper confirms that the council will need Parliamentary legislation if it wants to establish a savings bank.
A draft Bill to go before MPs will have to be prepared by November in order to get approval for a bank by the end of 2010.
Mick Wilkes, a member of the council’s municipal bank review group, said anything that would help first-time buyers was to be welcomed and urged his colleagues to make sure that a council-run bank offered deposit accounts.
Coun Wilkes (Lib Dem Hall Green) added: “When the original Birmingham Municipal Bank was at its peak, over 300,000 people had accounts.
“I am sure there would be a huge level of interest today among people who trust the council to look after their money rather more than they trust our friends in the high street banks. Thanks to the Birmingham Mail for the previous article. -- When i was looking for a mortgage circa 1956 i asked The Municipal Bank and they told me they did not loan money to buy a previously owned house but they sent me to The Leek & Moorlands Bldg Soc., and they gave me a mortgage but there was a shortfall between my deposit and the mortgage, my solicitor arranged a bridging loan from Birmingham Council it was free and if i could not keep up the payments that would settle the price, so this idea that they are talking is not new but will be a great help.Len.

Last edited:
Back