• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Municipal Bank Moneybox

RobertS

master brummie
Hello there

I till have my Birmingham Municipapal Bank money box. With no Municipal Bank to open it, I'm stuck. It still has some of my 1958 pocket money in it!

Would love to use it again. Does anyone know the least destructive way to get in. (Fairly sure if could get to the lock and see the wards I could make a key, just can't get in.)

I have tried the internet 101 'picking locks' and a locksmith just before the virus swept through. Fiddled and fiddled during lockdown and it's becoming an obsesion.

There must be someone out there that has figured it out. Can anyone help?

Hello there

I till have my Birmingham Municipapal Bank money box. With no Municipal Bank to open it, I'm stuck. It still has some of my 1958 pocket money in it!

Would love to use it again. Does anyone know the least destructive way to get in. (Fairly sure if could get to the lock and see the wards I could make a key, just can't get in.)

I have tried the internet 101 'picking locks' and a locksmith just before the virus swept through. Fiddled and fiddled during lockdown and it's becoming an obsesion.

Try a locksmith.

Thanks Edifi. Tried that. A puzzed counter clerk went away and came back saying they were discontinued 20 year before she was born. (Her dad, she phoned him!, had said they were withrawn in the late 60's or early 70's)

Hello there

Hi RobertS, I realise that you posted your original enquiry three years ago and your situation may have changed in many ways. I make replacement keys for a large range of vintage money boxes including the Birmingham Municipal Bank box. You may be interested to know that all the Bronzed steel BMB boxes issued all used the same key. The serial number was just for customer identification purposes. My sales vehicle is Ebay.
Terry

Back