• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Midwives

Jarvo

just a quick intro , I forgot password , my mom was a midwife stationed in Trinity Road Aston in the early 1950,s , she shared a house and a car with another midwife so they could be on call 24 hrs . I have several of her logbooks showing records of mother s pregnancies and babies births , one of which was Mrs Lillian Osborne , Ozzys mom! in 1952 a boy , so one of his brothers .

Hi Jarve, How interesting that you have those records.

(If you let postie know - send a message via Inbox above - hopefully he can help you sort out your password for your account)

Viv.

We shared our house in Perry Barr with a midwife also in the late forties and fifties. She was a great friend of ours and became a major part of our family. I remember we had our own phone, unusual for private houses in our area also the blue light above the front door. She covered the perry barr and great Barr area and had her own black sit up and beg ford anglia.

Hi Jarve, How interesting that you have those records.

(If you let postie know - send a message via Inbox above - hopefully he can help you sort out your password for your account)

Viv.
Thanks Viv, it was late but I meant to say that I've just remembered my password after joining the forum a good couple of years ago which is why I came on last night , my forum name is actually Jarvo who was a childhood friend of my dads from the Darwin street area in Highgate .

We shared our house in Perry Barr with a midwife also in the late forties and fifties. She was a great friend of ours and became a major part of our family. I remember we had our own phone, unusual for private houses in our area also the blue light above the front door. She covered the perry barr and great Barr area and had her own black sit up and beg ford anglia.
Hello Nick , I remember mom also had a phone and a similar car , it even had a garage just behind the house , my dad was a spark (courting mom at the time )and he wired an outside light up for them . They finally got married in Trinity Road church in 1954 , they then bought a house in West Heath where they had my brother and me , she returned to nursing in the mid sixties as a sister on ward D3 Selly Oak , they both grew up next door to each other in Alcester Street Highgate , dad went to Rea Street school , mom probably did as well to start with where she gained a scholarship to Camp Hill girls grammar school , that still makes me proud ! I'm new to posting and I'm starting to ramble so I'll leave you to have a sat morning cuppa .

My Dads sister (auntie Doll or Dolly) was a midwife all through ww2. I was born in 1940 s my memories of her mut be post war. I remember her calling at our house in Acocks Green for a cup of tea and a natter with Mom and Dad. She lived just off the Coventry road in Small heath so it was quite a bike ride for her, she often had her nurses bag with her and she would be wearing her uniform so she must have been at work. Her daughter is still alive and we keep in touch.

Back