• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Lighting Department

Well as a snotty nosed 15 yrs old in 1967, I joined the Public Works Dept, we looked after street lighting, Pumping stations, Civic Buildings,(Town Hall etc) OAP homes.
Even then, in '67, there were still a few gas lights around, not many but enough for me to remember them

Well as a snotty nosed 15 yrs old in 1967, I joined the Public Works Dept, we looked after street lighting, Pumping stations, Civic Buildings,(Town Hall etc) OAP homes.
Even then, in '67, there were still a few gas lights around, not many but enough for me to remember them
we had one outside our house in nechells in the 50s/60s,a bloke come once a week to wind the clock up.and clean it.
:grinning:

we had one outside our house in nechells in the 50s/60s,a bloke come once a week to wind the clock up.and clean it.
:grinning:
Amazing, I had one of those clocks until recently, it died after a radiator fell on it. It still blinkin worked as well

There is no doubt about the fact that street lighting and traffic signals have always been the responsibility of the appropriate highway authority. In the case of Birmingham, it's the city council. This will still be the case, although the actual work may be contracted out. Amey Plc is (was) the contractor for Birmingham, though expected to be replaced by April 2020. I hope one day they come up with a few good allocations for the lights and install more smart strip lights around the city. It will make everything looks so much brighter.

Last edited:
Back