• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Library 1865

My cousin Geraldine Marston was a librarian at Birmingham Library involved with it's first move in the 70's. She worked there for over 25 years sadly she is no longer with us to see this move.

Re: 'The Library of Birmingham - Now It Is Open'

Hi All...Not read all the inputs on this Thread yet but may I ask a question???
Who remembers the "Old Library"??? ...And I do not mean the one before this one!!!! (Watched that one going up in 1967....)
The one I loved to visit wasVery old building with wooden floors, wooden stairs, and wooden galleries, used to have a Record Library too where you could Loan an LP of any Classical Recording that you wanted .....That was a place I used to love to visit.....Reminded me of a Dickensian era....Loads of books on wooden shelves.
The Reference Library was, at that time, right next door, to the left, as I recall.
There was a Fountain just to the right...Think it has gone now...Shame...
Recollections anyone????
Brian.
P.S. Will now have a look at the NEW "Carbuncle" !!!! Sorry I said that but what happened to HISTORY ?????
P.P.S. I wonder why the "OLD" Library was not given a Preservation Order !!!!

It was announced in 1929 that to facilitate the speedy transfer of books from branches to the City, or from Central Libraries to the suburban ones, telephones had been installed at each library, and that a delivery van to expedite transfers visited all the libraries twice daily. A photograph of a delivery van is attached. Dave

P1020501.JPG

Shyster, I certainly remember the wonderful old Library by Chamberlain Square, should certainly been preserved, they could have modernised the interior, typical Council attitude to History and tradition. Despise the 2 monstrosities that have replaced it. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy but that is how I feel. I feel the same about the Bull Ring. Eric

Back