• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Library 1865

BirminghamCentralLibrary1.jpg

Wow, I can smell those books! (post 13). Do any libraries still have card index systems? Can't remember anywhere I last saw any of those cabinets. Viv.

The early 60s picture post #14 shows a bit of grime on the building but post #2 ...maybe 1900 or so shows how nicely it would have cleaned up. The inside was substantial and un-repeatable today. Perhaps the town hall has a better aspect from that side now. It needed a bit of space. All it needed was a clean. Maybe they could have sold the whole thing to the US...would have looked nice alongside of London Bridge.

What absolute phillistines Birmingham Council were to destroy such a beautiful building both inside and out, they should have been prosecuted for vandilism, and look at the concrete monstrosity they replaced it with (for once I agree with Prince Charles, an inverted incinirator). I also dislike the latest version. 'they' (?) say its 'progress, I strongly disagree and say its regression. I have travelled all over Europe and they restore/preserve their old historical buildings, WHY cannot we ????. Sorry for ranting but as a painter of old buildings I despair. Eric

once again i echo all you say eric..to lose the orignal library was a massive blow to birmingham and now they want us to sign the above petition to save the existing one from demolision beggers belief..:dispirited:...fraid i wont be signing it...

lyn

Three in a row there, all according to the notes taken in the last year of the Old Library's life. The last one shows the old next to the (then) very new expected to last a lifetime. 40 years isn't that long in the life of a supposedly "timeless" building,surely?

Once the NEW Library is open there are plans to totally redevelop the area around the OLD library, and this includes knocking down Fletchers Walk (and the quicker they knock down the old library the better - it is one of the reasons why Birmimgham has the nickname "Concrete City").

Below is the web site for the new "Paradise Circus" development in that area. It does say redevelopment of the site may start in Summer or Autumn 2014.

If you click on the link "The Potential Site" you can see a map of the area that will be knocked down and redeveloped. This will include the old Library, Fletchers Walk and the Cropthorne hotel.

https://www.paradisecircus.co.uk/

And below is why I think the old library should be knocked down.

A few pictures I took about 2 years ago of the very badly named "Paradise Place", this area is just outside the main walkway under the library.

Even people sleeping rough. What a dump.

I find it disgraceful the council allow the middle of the city centre to look like this.

Par1.jpg

Par4.jpg

Par6.jpg

Par9.jpg

Par2.jpg

I can remember in the 40;s (during and post war) when we lived in Shirley regularly catching the midland red bus and alighting in the Bullring, traipsing up to Martineau St to catch the 3X tram to our Nans in Queens Rd Aston, on the way our Mum would take us in the old market hall, treat us to a dish of cockles and mussels at 3d a time and buy some treat for Nan, I loved that old market hall why it was not restored to its former glory I do not know. Eric

Good debate folks. Good tht people want the city to look nice. It would be good to keep the "best" older achitecture where we can (and I think we do mostly) but probably hightly impracticable sometimes. Variety is good and we do need to try new things. I think people are getting the message about too much concrete now. The 70s are over. There are some people that actually like that look believe it or not. Because it didnt seem too bad at the time. It seemed progressive then..... Its just dated now - (after 40 years) and we all seem to have feelings for older architecture again (but maybe Im just getting old :) The new building is not all concrete tho is it :) and we do have to move with the times. Onwards and upwards.

Be funny if in 50 years time that our kids start saying ... oi -- we want the concrete back :)

My cousin Geraldine Marston was a librarian at Birmingham Library involved with it's first move in the 70's. She worked there for over 25 years sadly she is no longer with us to see this move.

Re: 'The Library of Birmingham - Now It Is Open'

Hi All...Not read all the inputs on this Thread yet but may I ask a question???
Who remembers the "Old Library"??? ...And I do not mean the one before this one!!!! (Watched that one going up in 1967....)
The one I loved to visit wasVery old building with wooden floors, wooden stairs, and wooden galleries, used to have a Record Library too where you could Loan an LP of any Classical Recording that you wanted .....That was a place I used to love to visit.....Reminded me of a Dickensian era....Loads of books on wooden shelves.
The Reference Library was, at that time, right next door, to the left, as I recall.
There was a Fountain just to the right...Think it has gone now...Shame...
Recollections anyone????
Brian.
P.S. Will now have a look at the NEW "Carbuncle" !!!! Sorry I said that but what happened to HISTORY ?????
P.P.S. I wonder why the "OLD" Library was not given a Preservation Order !!!!

It was announced in 1929 that to facilitate the speedy transfer of books from branches to the City, or from Central Libraries to the suburban ones, telephones had been installed at each library, and that a delivery van to expedite transfers visited all the libraries twice daily. A photograph of a delivery van is attached. Dave

P1020501.JPG

Shyster, I certainly remember the wonderful old Library by Chamberlain Square, should certainly been preserved, they could have modernised the interior, typical Council attitude to History and tradition. Despise the 2 monstrosities that have replaced it. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy but that is how I feel. I feel the same about the Bull Ring. Eric

Back