• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Irish

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tonight on BBC 4 is a program about the Birmingham Irish Community. It presumably will later be on i[layer

It's already on BBC iPlayer, I watched it several nights ago. As it was previously broadcast on the 3rd February on BBC 1 West Midlands. Was good. The other programmes in that series are already on iPlayer, the next one is on the Chinese, then Bangladeshi communities in the UK.

I was recently at a funeral in Melboune and struck up a conversation with another mourner whilst we were getting a bit of fresh air and he picked up my Brummie accent.
He was Irish and had lived and worked in Birmingham and asked where abouts I came from. When I said Sparkbrook he said he knew it well due to its Irish pubs such as The Mermaid and Angel. He then reeled off the names of the pubs all up the Stratford Rd and how if challenged to drink along it choose the ones on the right as the majority are on the left hand side ie The Ship,Black Horse, Mermaid Antelope.
Just another example off what a small place the World is.
Cheers Tim

I am sure it was the Garyowen club on wordsworth rd smallheath which is no longer there I think it shut down in 2005 .I never went there but I had heard about it .In the later years it became a very rough club.
The Garry was on Wordsworth road. When I started going there it was small. It had a small dance floor and bar and you went there after the pubs closed. It was expanded into a fairly large club but Brendan still sat on the door with Con and Vince turning people away he didn't like the look of. Preferred the old garry. There was also the Emerald and yes there is a new Emerald and an old Emerald. The old Emerald was on the corner of Green Lane and Prince Albert Street and was mainly (almost exclusively) respectable Irish. The new Emerald is across the road on Green lane and its no longer an Irish Club club but it lives off the name of the old club.

Last edited:
In the 1950s our band played at an Irish Club in Small heath anyone remember the club?
In the 1950s our band played at an Irish Club in Small heath anyone remember the club?
I was recently at a funeral in Melboune and struck up a conversation with another mourner whilst we were getting a bit of fresh air and he picked up my Brummie accent.
He was Irish and had lived and worked in Birmingham and asked where abouts I came from. When I said Sparkbrook he said he knew it well due to its Irish pubs such as The Mermaid and Angel. He then reeled off the names of the pubs all up the Stratford Rd and how if challenged to drink along it choose the ones on the right as the majority are on the left hand side ie The Ship,Black Horse, Mermaid Antelope.
Just another example off what a small place the World is.
Cheers Tim

In the 60's we lived above a shop on stratford road. The area was full of Irish. The main pubs were he Bear and the Mermaid. The Angel and Antelope were smaller pubs. These pubs were popular with the Irish because if you arrived in Birmingham and wanted work these were the pubs where gangs were picked up. If you didn't know a soul you went to a pub, stood outside and when a gang was a man short, you got a shift.

All the pubs in Sparkhill and Sparkbrook (on the Stratford Road) have long since closed down. Many are now Asian restaurants.

The Bear is still vacant.

The Mermaid is now a Portuguese restaurant (was closed for years after the last fire).

All the pubs in Sparkhill and Sparkbrook (on the Stratford Road) have long since closed down. Many are now Asian restaurants.

The Bear is still vacant.

The Mermaid is now a Portuguese restaurant (was closed for years after the last fire).
Sad Days, rather glad I'm not there to see it. Have been back in the past but there is nothing or nobody to draw me now.

My father came over from westmeath in Ireland with his 3 brothers in 1953 they all ended up in lime street station liverpool where I was told thousands of Irish people went to when they first came over it was probably the liverpool docks for work that drew them there.one of my uncles ended up in London and my dad and his brother ended up in Birmingham.Yes and like three quarters of all Irish ended up working in the building trade and I'm sure many of the buildings in brum were built by the irish and not forgetting the motorways . Nearly all the Irish men worked hard but unfortunately they drank hard as well so that's why there was so many Irish pubs in brum to cater for them.My uncles always said they were the best years of their lives but their wives would definitely not agree !!!!

Sad Days, rather glad I'm not there to see it. Have been back in the past but there is nothing or nobody to draw me now.

Lots of take aways, sweet shops, Asian women's clothes shops etc. You should see the litter from the bus. There is the odd Council litter picker, but they need volunteers to pick it all up.

Oh and the fly tipping on the old Vale Onslow demolition site (hoardings broken into).

In the 60's we lived above a shop on stratford road. The area was full of Irish. The main pubs were he Bear and the Mermaid. The Angel and Antelope were smaller pubs. These pubs were popular with the Irish because if you arrived in Birmingham and wanted work these were the pubs where gangs were picked up. If you didn't know a soul you went to a pub, stood outside and when a gang was a man short, you got a shift.
I remember the Commando group cleaners would pick out men for casual work.at around 7am.out side the mermaid pub:)

I remember the Commando group cleaners would pick out men for casual work.at around 7am.out side the mermaid pub:)
We used to pick people up outside pubs because that's how we used to navigate. A man may not know a street or shop, but the chances are he would know one of the pubs on the way to the job. If you asked someone for directions, pubs were a good landmark. I remember picking up a very well known guy at the Malt Shovel on the Coventry Road. He came to work with a bottle of cider in his pocket. People turned a blind eye, but I remember once when he was questioned, he said 'does that compressor run without diesel'?

I am sure it was the Garyowen club on wordsworth rd smallheath which is no longer there I think it shut down in 2005 .I never went there but I had heard about it .In the later years it became a very rough club.
The Garryowen didn't open until around 1968/69. Before that the building it was originally housed in (a large nissen hut)was a club called the Iron Curtain.

Back