• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham (Industrial) Cooperative Society Shops

Stitcher, My mom's family also lived in Oakhill Crescent at no 17. Thanks to the 1939 register I've discovered an aunt and uncle that I had no idea of which was wonderful. Perhaps you may have known my Mom's family.

Stitcher, My mom's family also lived in Oakhill Crescent at no 17. Thanks to the 1939 register I've discovered an aunt and uncle that I had no idea of which was wonderful. Perhaps you may have known my Mom's family.

Hello jmadone, I was born at No 66 and that is at the other end of the crescent so it was quite a way away
from No 17 and I did not know many people from that end of the road. What was the surname?

My mum's first job was at the Bakery in Witton Co-op at the end of the war, after she returned from evacuation. I'm wondering if that would be the Witton Lodge Road branch, or was there another in Witton? Her cousin worked in the drapery department of the same branch, so I'm thinking it would have been of significant size.

Last edited:
Pimpernel, the was a Co-op on the corner at Witton diagonally opposite to the pub. I know there's a picture on the forum but I haven't been able to find it yet.

There are quite a few photos of BCS and Birmingham Industrial Co-Op posted in error on one of the three?TASCOS threads, Lady P. Maybe there?

Thanks Alan, I remember the one at Witton as I thought the original building was much nicer than the present one. I think it may have been something to do with buses but my memory has failed me.

There is this picture which shows the Witton Co-Op but unfortunately a tram blocks some of the view. Keith Berry took some pics but only partially showing the shop... :)
A photo of Witton Square when the 3X tram was in service there.
index.php

Last edited:
oM, that's probably the picture I was thinking of. It looks as though there were 4 shops - greengrocers on the left (may have sold fish) and probably a grocers on the right. I presume there would have been a butchers too. The one at Stockland Green had the same selection with a chemists shop on the end. However, Pimpernel reckons there was a drapers and a bakery at Witton. Very interesting.

oM, that's probably the picture I was thinking of. It looks as though there were 4 shops - greengrocers on the left (may have sold fish) and probably a grocers on the right. I presume there would have been a butchers too. The one at Stockland Green had the same selection with a chemists shop on the end. However, Pimpernel reckons there was a drapers and a bakery at Witton. Very interesting.
Lady P,
Keith Berry photographed Witton and made a comment about the Co-Op but did not a get a full shot of it. A telephone box blocked the view in one night shot and the other shot was a side view.
I spotted this aerial view dated 1947 by 'britainfromabove' which shows the complete building but not enough detail to identify each shop. Maybe five shops and looks like it was 'early closing day' or a Sunday.
oldmohawk
Witton1947.jpg

Interesting photo oM, especially the view of the pub garden. I'm pretty sure there is a greengrocers there and there would have been a grocers too. I wonder if the bakery mentioned supplied other shops rather than just the Witton one.

What a wonderful display at this Co-Op. It was branch #10, High Street Erdington. The time and care put into the display is stunning. I can see meat hung up outside, but not sure what the pieces are hanging down along the window frame. Think the ones above the entrance are bacon, ready for slicing on the premises. The stacked tins in the doorway look like biscuits to me, sold loose.

The canine assistant is drawing attention to the "Co-operative News". Hope he got a juicy bone for his efforts. Or maybe he was simply passing by and savouring the aroma from those hanging joints of meat. Viv.

20231115_123545.jpg

Back