• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham in 1970s

PaulE

master brummie
First of all, I am a newbie here so apologies if I have posted this message in the wrong part of the site. This is my first post!

There was a programme on Radio 4 this morning about a series of short documentary films made in the late 1970's, promoting cities including Birmingham. Basically they were poking fun at Birmingham (and the other cities) as they were in the 1970's, as well as making a joke about the films.

Someone from the BBC has kindly posted the Birmingham film onto YouTube:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZ1xn2ml10[/ame]

Having watched it, I see nothing wrong with it. It is a celebration of both the old and new (1970's) Birmingham, and although tastes have changed and much of the Birmingham I grew up with has now been demolished, in the 1970's I believe we were proud of New St Station, the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Spaghetti Junction etc. Actually I think I prefer it to some of the wacky buildings we have to look at now!

I would be very interested to know what other people think; was Birmingham in the 1970's as bad as some say?

Regards

Paul

Welcome Paul. thanks for finding that film. I think it is a good representation of the City at that time.

Paul welcome, I agree with you it's just as I remember it lovely. Some things for me have improved some have not its down to personal taste. These films were a little overdone but still a lovely bit of nostalgia who cares what others think. Thanks for posting the link have you any memories of the 70's?

Hello Paul, Welcome, I was listening to that as well i found it very amusing WE BRUMMIES, Can afford to laugh at ourselves, after all it was mainly us that kept the world together at one time... Cat:)

I have just been back and had a look at You tube and the clip by Harold Balm narrated by Telly Savalas i think it is wonderful and so professionally done. (Did he really come to Birmingham) or did he have a script.?... no matter what, he too made it sound a wonderful place. for this i thank all concerned and remove my hat. where's my hat gone

Go have a look folks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome.

A pity Telly never came to Birmingham, but even if he was reading a script he might still have been expressing his honest views. To an American, the dual carriageways and concrete skyscrapers might have seemed a bit like home, but contrasted wonderfully with the Victorian (and older) buildings that were then so numerous.

Regards

Paul

I have seen the film before but seeing it again makes me wonder what was so wrong with the place that we had to knock hell out of the city again! :confused:
Thanks PaulE for reminding me of what we've lost.:thumbsup:

Having read the post more slowly once again, i find that it no longer looks like the Harold Balm clip why did they change it as Oisin says. more money than sense i suppose...Cat:)

hi, paul E, do you know of any more film,s made in brum. there was a showing of a drama on bbc 1 or 2 in 1977-78, in st,martins flats,most of the local,s were there seeing been made,my parent,s watched,i would have loved to have seen it any idea,s or info on this[ it was not the gangters, drama, i have seen that one,,ok christy

Hi Paul, I enjoyed the film of Birmingham, but being a 40s baby I remember the bull ring with the barrow boys up the hill as far as what was then the Times Furniture store, there was character about the place, then they knocked down the old market hall and built ugly square concrete buildings, the markets became run down and dirty and we had to endure going from one place to another under dirty dark tunnels. I must say although some of the buildings seem a little wacky I think they have their own beauty, I am now proud to show visitors around a bright vibrant city in particular the canalside cafe's and restaurants etc. Some may not like Selfridges but it is iconic and draws many vistors to the city. Cheers from one very proud brummie. Malta.

I agree Malta - a Lot of what was good was destroyed in the race to make Brum a bright new '70's vision but sadly what was lacking was 'vision' itself. I much prefer what is developing to what went before though I have a nostalgic attachment to what was there pre- seventies.

Funny thing is we used to laugh at Lesleys(?) the jewellers having a constant 'closing down sale'!

Hi Paul and Welcome. I have just watched the film which brought back a few pleasant memories, especially the Bull Ring market where one could buy cheap vegetables and fruit etc. I wonder why an American was chosen to narrate the film - any ideas?

Anthea

How anyone can reminisce to the 70's is beyond me.
Everyone was driven underground in pedestrian subways.
The strangle hold the inner ring road had on the Bullring, Terrible,
The city centre is 10 times better then was in the 70's

Sorry, Hello Paul

Oh I really enjoyed watching that......I suddenly felt a long way from 'home' & got all nostalgic (I know, I know...I'm a daft bat!).

I do agree frothblower its brighter and cleaner just think of what Brindly Place was like!
Anthea the market is as good as it ever was, the fruit and vege are excellent in price and quality. The rag market is still brilliant for fabrics etc I love to grab a bargain!

First of all, I am a newbie here so apologies if I have posted this message in the wrong part of the site. This is my first post!

There was a programme on Radio 4 this morning about a series of short documentary films made in the late 1970's, promoting cities including Birmingham. Basically they were poking fun at Birmingham (and the other cities) as they were in the 1970's, as well as making a joke about the films.

Someone from the BBC has kindly posted the Birmingham film onto YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZ1xn2ml10

Having watched it, I see nothing wrong with it. It is a celebration of both the old and new (1970's) Birmingham, and although tastes have changed and much of the Birmingham I grew up with has now been demolished, in the 1970's I believe we were proud of New St Station, the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Spaghetti Junction etc. Actually I think I prefer it to some of the wacky buildings we have to look at now!

I would be very interested to know what other people think; was Birmingham in the 1970's as bad as some say?

Regards

Paul

Hi all. Just tried to watch this film on YouTube, but it says it's not available in my country (I'm in Canada). Anybody know of another link I could try? I'd love to see it.

Mark

Hi Mark

As it was posted by the BBC I wonder if they restricted the area where it could be seen?

Anyway, you could try typing the following phrase into the search box for YouTube or Google Video in your area:

Telly Savalas Looks At Birmingham - BBC Radio 4

Good luck!

Paul

I heard that programme too, and as I'd already seen the film it was interesting to hear how and why it was made.
No, Telly didn't come here, or to any of the towns Harold Balm filmed for his 'quota fillers' for the cinema.
See for more detail:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/tellysavalas.shtml

People might want to view the discussions we are having in the "Take Me High" thread elsewhere on the Forum.

To link the two, here's a flyer for a tongue-in-cheek event held in February this year by Birmingham Library Service.....

I don't know if the "Newsweek" is just a spoof cover just like "Mad" magazine used to be (remember that one?). I'm working flat out in my day job at the moment, but over the next few weeks will endeavour to find out if it exists. Have got a copy of the Radio Times article referring to the BBC Radio 4 programme also broadcast earlier this year.

I can only vaguely remember a national three day week being introduced in the early 1970s. As I worked in the manufacturing it must have affected me but for the life of me I can't remember how.

Maybe if others could relay their experiences it might help.

Thanks,
P.

It was 1974. there were strikes in the coal industry which stopped, or largely reduced the production of coal and coke and hindered access to already produced stocks. The government introduced a 3 day week to reduce electricity consumption in order to conserve fuel. there were exceptions both deliberate (TV hospitals, and newspapers) and "accidental" . Cadbury's was an accidental exception as it was on the same electricity circuit as selly oak hospital, and, I believe, also generated some power and sometimes contributed to the grid. Therefore they were allowed to remain open , but had to reduce consumption of electricity. As I remember it shifts were reduced, lights were turned off for the first time for years, etc . I was not based at Bournville at that time, but experienced it as a visitor to the site.
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, even if it has left me more confused.
sm-nachdenk.gif
I was living in Ireland in 1974 probably a good reason why it didn't affect me.
backpedal.gif

Must be the old grey cells packing up cos I'm sure I recall something similar between '70 and '72, when electricity shortages lead my wife, who had no experience of coal fires before, trying to light the coal directly from a match.

In fact the uncertainty of the British industries at the time were part of the reason why I accepted the offer of working in Ireland.

I worked a garage in Aldridge during this period who had a generator installed it was my job to run up the generator each morning one hour before the garage opened as to allow build up to working power. which meant switching on individual lighting and power circuits, Sunday was maintaince day on the generator so I was working seven days.
After restrictions where lifted we used to run the generator up once a week just in case it was ever needed again.

You're right Oisin. after checking on the net there was also a 3 day week in 1972 under Heath. This was also due to a miners strike , but 3 day week only lasted a week or so. What I said may have been my ancient brain mixing the two together..
Mike

You're right Oisin. after checking on the net there was also a 3 day week in 1972 under Heath. This was also due to a miners strike , but 3 day week only lasted a week or so. What I said may have been my ancient brain mixing the two together..
Mike
Thanks again, Mike. That would fit in better with my vague memories. If it was only a week or two it wouldn't have bothered me that much. It would seem linking our cells together we've got to it.
thumbsup4kk.gif

Interesting thread everyone. I chose the summer of 1972 to return to England and then took off to live in Spain for a few months. I came home for Christmas and started working for six months as a Temp around Brum before returning to Canada in June. The electricity shortages and cut backs made
life working in offices very uncomfortable and recall being cold most of the winter at work. Some office workers surrounded themselves with big pieces of cardboard at their desks to keep out the cold drafts since the heat was turned off overnight in some cases. They also wore gloves and scarves!

Oh my goodness I remember it very well. Working in a hairdressers it was just impossible. Ladies would come and have their hair washed in a bowl of luke warm water and then go home in wet hair rollered up. Trying to cut by candlelight was almost impossible. I remember wearing layers of clothes.:( The days we had power we worked non stop to keep our clients happy. Thank goodness my Mom had a gas cooker!:)

The Ted Heath Govt 3 day working week was from January to March 1974 one area would work Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday another area Thursday, Friday & Saturday and the following week they would swap their days so in effect you worked 6 days if my memory is good, i was working at Lucas Aerospace at this time. Len.

Back