• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1960s

I thought that at the time, when I got to the fifth form it all seemed to change and I got focused! Or something like that.
I was there until the last day that the school was on that site , the Friday we broke for summer holidays in July ,then all us fourth year lads went back the next day to help load all the the removal lorries that were taking to the new site which is opposite Handsworth Cemetery, then later it’s name changed to Blessed St John wall .Then Monday morning I started my first ever job as a sign writer and silk screen printer , happy days indeed

I was there until the last day that the school was on that site , the Friday we broke for summer holidays in July ,then all us fourth year lads went back the next day to help load all the the removal lorries that were taking to the new site which is opposite Handsworth Cemetery, then later it’s name changed to Blessed St John wall .Then Monday morning I started my first ever job as a sign writer and silk screen printer , happy days indeed
Was that the new name for William Murdoch?

Was that the new name for William Murdoch?
We were never really sure why the name change, my wife went to the new site and all the teachers and headmaster were still there, I’m not sure if the new name relates to Roman Catholic , maybe someone on the forum could shed some light

I smoked Sobranie but they were black paper with gold tips. Thought I was incredibly sophisticated darhhhhlings ! The other extreme was smoking Gitanes - stunk the piace out. Like Morturn I'd smoke anything, especially if others were offering, like in the office. Seems crazy that smoking in public places, including hospitals, was acceptable.
Viv I like your style with regards to smoking, anything me an a mate had we did at different times , how does the News of The World and dummy cigarettes they put in shop windows grab you ? If we could get a drag out of it we would puff away , some years later courtesy of a gambling machine I was promoted to Dunhill International, the price then 6 shillings and fourpence . I think Park Drive and the like were about 1 shilling and eightpence

Last edited:
Viv I like your style with regards to smoking, anything me an a mate had we did at different times , how does the News of The World and dummy cigarettes they put in shop windows grab you ? If we could get a drag out of it we would puff away , some years later courtesy of a gambling machine I was promoted to Dunhill International, the price then 6 shillings and fourpence . I think Park Drive and the like were about 1 shilling and eightpence
When I had a little extra it was Piccadilly.

Back