• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Birmingham Housing Planning around 1900

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below is a link to a publication of John Nettlefold entitled
"A Housing Policy: to which is added a lecture on housing reform delivered in the Town Hall Birmingham March 28 1906" , which describes the council's housing policy at the time . It also includes a few (very retouched ) photos, one of which I have not seen before and another which I have only seen an inferior copy of. these will be put on a post concerning Brass St. You may read or download from link.

https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-hssl_housing-policy_na9030n41900z-8860
[h=1][/h]

I'm looking for information on the development of the Broad Meadow Farm estate, particularly for picture of the Broad Meadow Farm and cottage as it looked before development maybe around the year 1900 onwards.

Post 46 mentions Councillor Nettlefold

Thanks David I was interested as I maintained their Telephone system in their Head Office in Rolfe St Smethwick in the 70/80's during my time with PO Telephones (now BT). Eric

I'm looking for information on the development of the Broad Meadow Farm estate, particularly for picture of the Broad Meadow Farm and cottage as it looked before development maybe around the year 1900 onwards.
Can't help you with that exactly, but in case you don't already know, Broad Meadow was the estate occupied by Joseph Billing Baldwin (1825-1884) and his family in the 1870s-1880s (they are there in the 1881 census). He was the son of the paper maker, and one-time Mayor of Birmingham, James Baldwin. I think I've noticed you mention JBB's son James Baldwin (1852-1922) in another post. He was the army JB (Worcestershire Yeomanry); never married. They were Unitarians and are buried in the Kingswood Unitarian Chapel graveyard.

Back