• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Hospital Fund & Tyn-y-Coed

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund was set up to provide funding of Healthcare. Peter Maskell's book "The Best of Health" is accessible on the following site:
https://www.bhsf.co.uk/Getdoc?k=bestofhealth
BHSF arranged convalescence for ill people of Birmingham. Here is a 1892 photo of Tyn-y-Coed, the first of the convalesent homes to be opened. Does anyone have any more pictures of this place?

My pleasure. HEre are a few more, including what it looks like now. It's now owned by a geoscience company. Whatever that is!

I was at the Blackwell house in the early 1950s about 52 if I remember correct, I think the house was called Green Gables I was there after recovering from Appendicitis , I can recall the village very well. Any one else been there.?
Mike

I've attached a photograph of Tyn-y-coed. Not sure of the date taken, but my Great Grandad is sat on the wall, 4th from right, he was born in 1898 and visited several times.

Jason

Does anyone know if it is possible (or has anyone been able) to find out exactly when someone stayed there, for how long, and why? I know my great great grandfather was there in 1901 when the census was taken, but I'd love to find out more.
Craig

Back