• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham horse, steam and cable trams

Whaley Ash

Hi there

I run a web site dedicated to British Tramway Company Uniforms Buttons and Badges (https://www.birches.plus.com), and am currently creating entries for each of the pre-corporation Birmingham tramway systems (e.g. Birmingham Central Tramways). I'm slowly working my through various photos I've accumulated, but could do with a few more photos to really build an understanding of what uniforms were worn (some companies didn't issue them at all) and how they changed over the years. The photographic record in respect of the horse trams (especially the earlier years) is particularly sparse. So, if anyone has any photos of the horse, steam and cable tramways showing tramwaymen (conductors, drivers, inspectors), that you would be happy for me to use on my web site (it's a hobby), please do let me know. Studio photos of individual tramwaymen would be brilliant, but they are alas somewhat of a rarity! The main systems were:

- Birmingham and Midland Tramways Company (1885-1904)
- Birmingham and Aston Tramways Company (1882-1904)
- Birmingham and District Tramways Company (1872-1885)
- Birmingham Central Tramways Company (1884-1896)
- City of Birmingham Tramways Company (1896-1912)

Hope to hear from someone who can help.

Regards, Ashley (High Peak)

Cheers, Ashley Birch (High Peak)

Hi Ashley,

Did you get the picture of the BCT #71 Burrell Steam Tram that shews the driver in his deerstalker hat? Do you know to any more pictures of this engine?
Your website is no longer available!

Best regards,

tellm

MOAT ROW

“Travelling out of the town centre (it was not made a city until 1889) along Moat Row in around 1888 is Falcon trailer car 45. The steam tram is only going as far as Sparkbrook, thus being a shortworking of the service that normally terminated at St John's Road, Sparkhill. The two doors to the upper saloon at the top of the staircase are to enable passengers to get to both sides of the knife board seating. Although fitted with decency screens, there is no dash panel on the platform. The Georgian buildings on the far side of the road are getting towards the end of their lives and one of them has a notice stating, 'THIS LAND TO BE LET FOR BUILDING LEASE'. They would be replaced in the last decade of the nineteenth centurv. The coffee house on the right not also sells coffee but also tea and hot meat pies.”

Birmingham before the electric tram by Harvey, D. R. (David R.), author. Publication date 2013.

IMG_0421.jpeg

Back