• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham History Galleries: Do you have a suburban story? (oral history projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourbirmingham

Hello
As part of the development of the new Birmingham history galleries which will open in autumn 2012 at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, we are developing a number of oral history projects on aspects of Birmingham life. Snippets of oral history interviews will be used in the gallery to look at three themes, living in the suburbs, working in the suburbs and leisure in the suburbs. The gallery will look at the period up to or around 1945 and the museum is keen to identify individuals who are willing to be interviewed for the project. Because of the time period that this represents we are also keen to interview people who may have family stories that fit the above themes.

Suburban Birmingham in the first half of the twentieth century

• Working at Austin Motor Works, Longbridge
  • Working at Cadbury’s
  • Working at Chad Valley, Harborne
  • Moving to Kingstanding or Weoley Castle estates
Please reply to forum post or contact: Jo-Ann Curtis (Curator History) at [email protected]

Re: Birmingham History Galleries: Do you have a suburban story? (oral history project

The scaffolding is part of ongoing repairs to the roof. We're a Grade II* listed building so the process takes a while !

Re: Birmingham History Galleries: Do you have a suburban story? (oral history project

Jo I hope some of our older members can help sadly a lot from this era are not on the internet. I know a few in sheltered housing in Tamworth. I do hope you get some oral history I love to listen to them.

Thank you, Bill. It looks as though there will be exciting developments, but what a shame BMAG chose that particular painting to front their project.

What should they have chosen?

I can't wait for it to open either, have marked it my calander and by luck it's my day off. From what I read on the museum website it's going to cover everything to do with Birmingham. I hate to say it but it's took a long time coming. The other display of Birmingham's history was a tad to small for what our great city can offer people as far as history goes. I hope the gallery will give us all alot of satisfaction when it opens.

This most important part of Birmingham's history should be included in the list detailed in the initial post.

https://www.birminghampost.net/news...cracking-the-nazi-enigma-code-65233-21552922/

The telephone side of the former GPO had three establishments within the City of Birmingham as will be seen. I worked in one of them when I initially left school but, at that time, I was more interested in chemistry/pharmaceuticals than telecommunications so I did not stay long.

There is a thread on this Forum elsewhere about the GPO Fordrough Lane in particular.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28815

Hi all.
Hope this is the right place.
Today my daughter and myself took ourselves off to brum for the day to visit the museum and the Birmingham history galleries.
What fantastic gallerys they are. With history dating back 900 years of how birmingham came to be , right through to modern times, with the industrial revolution through to both world wars and right through to the 21 century.
My only bug bear was we were inundated with hoards of school kids (cant be helped )
But what a fantastic exhibition.
However it will take more than one visit to make sure youve covered everything and not missed anything out, but i really enjoyed it and so did my daughter
And the visit was topped off with our home made lunch sat on the steps of the floozie in the jacuzzi unfortuneatly i would advise taking something to sit on as them step dont half give you a cold bum :fat:

celia

I was in Brum visiting my parents last week and just happened to visit the museum and art gallery so was very interested to have a look round the new Birmingham History Gallery (think it opened on the 12th October ).
I spent about an hour and a half in there but, as Celia says you could spend lots more time looking at every exhibit and reading all the information. It is very interesting, I will definitely visit again when I'm next in Brum.

I finally got around to going at the weekend (before I went here I went to the Museum of London in mid October).

All my photos will be here Birmingham History Galleries

Here's some uploaded already:

Peter de Birmingham

Prince Rupert (who attacked Birmingham in 1643 during the Civil War)

A few more highlights

Elkington & Co

Gothic revival

Joseph Chamberlain

Motorbike made by BSA in Small Heath, 1911

HP sign

Silver casket marking the 40,000th council house built in Birmingham, 1933

smashing ell...love the motorbike...thanks

lyn

Thanks again Ell for the wonderful pictures - its on our list of things to do, only thing I don't seem to get is time!
Love the HP sign.
Sue

Glad I went last week.

Today I took a few shots of the restored façade outside

As the obejct of this thread [Do you have a suburban story? (oral history project)] ended some years back I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back