• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Hippodrome

Harry Flashman

knowlegable brummie
My dad was the Stage Manager of the Hippodrome in the 70s (He worked there from the 50s to about 1980).

I inherited all his memorabillia (30 years worth!) when he died a few years ago.
Ernie Clapham, was a great friend of our family. He was stage manager in the 50's up until he retired in the late 60's. Was your dad Harry Brown?

mw0njm.

A Brummie Vampire
i went with mom to see david whitfield,and mom lost her purse. we had no money to pay for the bus home. mom gave her name and address. the cleaner found the purse and gave it mom back the next day.

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Some views of the Birmingham Hippodrome from Hurst Street. They face an uncertain future due to the pandemic / lockdown / loss of earnings etc. Social distancing in the theatre would be hard.

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
Ernie Clapham, was a great friend of our family. He was stage manager in the 50's up until he retired in the late 60's. Was your dad Harry Brown?
Okay, I know this reply is nearly a year late, but I haven't been logged in here for a while, but, Yes, he was my Dad. He died in 2008. He used to talk about Ernie Clapham, as did/does my Mom, who met my Dad while she was working in the box office in the early 60s. She used to fill in as relief stage door keeper from time to time, as well. I used to sit in the little old fashioned stage door kiosk with her.

Harry Flashman

knowlegable brummie
Time flies doesn't it? I remember working a Pantones season back stage when your dad was stage manager. Maybe 1970/71. Arthur Askey and Dickie Henderson were the stars. I have some fond memories of the laughs we 'stage hands' used to have.The 'get out' and get in' of all the scenery after Pantones finished was a tough 24 hours of work with no rest. I even managed to get one of the chorus girls to go out with me for a time, although she eventually dumped me for a guitarist. Happy days.