• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Heaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Watching Breakfast this morning, there was an item on allotments coming from Beckenham and the gent being interviewed said he had been brought up in Small Heath and that got me wondering; How many Heaths were there in Birmingham. I remember Small, Short & West (was there a Druids, or did I make that up? Did the adjective before Heath really describe it and was there originally a Heath there. Also if I missed any or some have been invented since 1962 please let me know. I have this surreal vision of three witches sitting on the blasted heath between Coventry Road and Victoria Road....hubble,bubble etc.

Bob

Some while ago I noticed that there were few areas, in the Birmingham area, which did not have somewhere called a heath. I guess there could be at least a couple of dozen, maybe more.

Highters
Gib (Gibb)
Druids (yes you guessed Bob)
Walkers
Burned
Row
Headley
Leach
High
Sheldon
Langley
Little
Reddicap
Pest
Sutton
Wythall
Lightwood
Handsworth
Hockley
Winson Green
Goosemoor
Truemans
Ilshaw
Dickens
Bentley
Apsley

This list does not include those already mentioned in previous posts (except the query about Druids and Gib(Gibb).
I estimated just over 24, well it seems there are more.
If you want to know where they are or were then Bill Dargue has the answer.

My Grandfather died in Dudley Road Hospital in 1960. (Now City Hospital).
His death certificate says "Death in the sub-district of Heath in the county borough of Birmingham".
rosie.

There was only one Ted Heath, used to visit the Town Hall with his band
Bob

And here he is! Ted Heath at the Birmingham Town Hall with his band--------of supporters.

Mr Edward Heath at Birmingham Town Hall

And here he is! Ted Heath at the Birmingham Town Hall with his band--------of supporters.

Mr Edward Heath at Birmingham Town Hall
But look who's with him, Abe Lincoln, Dennis Norden & clement Atlee and I thought that was Nye Bevin just over his left shoulder, Richard Briers is there as well, I will let the rest of you make further identifications, because I have noticed one or two other important faces there. Firstly Alan, locate those heaths for all of us and secondly were they all originally heathland? Or did the names occur because some planner or philanthropist think, if I add Heath it will convey a rural atmosphere, think it could have been Acocks Heath, Perry Heath....................................0ff theme again.............Mods Yellow Card.

B0b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back