• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Hall of memory

Barry, this is a mystery, I have searched the 1891 and 1901 census over and over and can find no trace of Alec Johnson 1890.
Birth records for Bedminster (this is the reg. area for Weston in Gordano) show no births of Alec/Aleck/Alex Johnson around 1890 .

Barry, this is a mystery, I have searched the 1891 and 1901 census over and over and can find no trace of Alec Johnson 1890.
Birth records for Bedminster (this is the reg. area for Weston in Gordano) show no births of Alec/Aleck/Alex Johnson around 1890 .

Alberta: Thank you so much for painstakingly looking through the applicable censuses, despite having no luck tracing Alec Johnson. My great-uncle, like by Wolverhampton great-grandfather, Richard Sidney Page, remains an enigma since very little is known of these individuals. The only clues I have are those of oral family lore, which is suspect at best. Living in Canada, as I do, I don't have immediate access to any records that may be archived with the remaining members of the family in England. Therefore, I have to do any researching via regular mail or online. Once again I appreciate your help in this regard.

Yours truly.

Barry
Goderich, Ontario, Canada

Many thanks for your message. Unfortunately I'm not in possession of great-uncle Alec's medal(s), but oral family lore has it that he was awarded the Mons Star. The medal could be anywhere, not necessarily in the family's artefacts, but to see it and the engraved information would definitely solve many mysteries about Alec. This is an important clue, however, and I will look into it in more depth.

Yours truly.

Barry Page
Goderich, Ontario, Canada

Thank you, Topsyturvey, for the British Pathé weblink. Many of the silent movies are an important connection to our past, and this one is a particularly fine example of our cultural heritage. Showing the Prince laying the foundation stone to the Birmingham Hall of Memory was most interesting. Barry.

Now this looked 'connected' to the Council House/ Town Hall/ Chamberlain Square area. That was all lost when Suffolk Street Queensway was put through. Such a pity as I feel it left this part of town a bit detached from the rest. Viv.

Bernard's photos show how the monument has continued to work with the surrounding buildings through the last (almost) 100 years. I suppose art deco is like that. Does anyone have any pictures of a frieze from the Hall? I remember seeing it but can't find it, and don't see it on any photos. Or maybe I just imagined it. Viv.

Back