• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Groups

The Uglys

BIRMINGHAM
uglys2b.jpg
Last updated August 2004
Bob Burnettguitar (left in 1966)
Steve Gibbonslead vocal, harmonica
John Gordonorgan (left in 1965)
Jim Holdendrums (left in 1968)
John Hustwaytebass guitar (left in 1966)
Roger Hillguitar (joined 1966 - left 1967)
Jimmy O'Neilpiano, organ, bass guitar (joined 1965 - left 1968)
Dave Peggbass guitar (joined 1966 - left 1967)
Will Hammondguitar, vocal (joined in 1967)
Dave Morganbass guitar, vocal (joined 1967)
Keith Smartdrums (joined in 1968)
Richard Tandypiano (joined 1968 - left 1969)

Yeah i remember them

Mossy

Hi Astonite. Yes, I remember The Uglys. As Ive posted on another part of this site, when I first started work after leaving school, the other folk in the office I worked told me that at the end of that week, there was to be a dance at their social club, and that I should go along. Well I did, and The Uglys where the group that night. It also happened to be the day they released their first single "Wake up my mind", so I bought it that night, and I still have it, along with their next 2 singles.

Mossy. The club was called TUBES LTD SOCIAL CLUB. I worked for them in Rocky Lane for over 12 years. The club was situated in (I think) Boldmere Rd, Sutton Coldfield.

Hey Mossy,
How come you know so much about The Uglys?
Barbara worked with Roger Hill for a while and Dave Pegg ended up with Fairport Convention (and still is).
Fairport are our favourite Brum group although only Dave Pegg and Dave Swarbrick were Brummies (not even sure about Swarb?).

Hi Astonite. Yes, I remember The Uglys. As Ive posted on another part of this site, when I first started work after leaving school, the other folk in the office I worked told me that at the end of that week, there was to be a dance at their social club, and that I should go along. Well I did, and The Uglys where the group that night. It also happened to be the day they released their first single "Wake up my mind", so I bought it that night, and I still have it, along with their next 2 singles.

Pretty sure that was a huge hit in Australia and a few other places. I'm not old enough to remember them though, but I do remember their van with hand prints all over it, used to be parked in Alston Rd.

What about Brian Hines, born 1944, AKA Denny Lane of Paul McCartney's group, Wings. Brian was born and lived opposite me in Holcombe Road, Tyseley.
He attended Yardley Grammer School.

anyone remember the "flowerpot men" one of the group now lives in cambridge, or did a few years ago can't remember his name now but if anyone remembers the group and can name them I will remember when I see the name.
paul

Ken Lewis wrote songs for the flower pot men, I think he wasa local lad

My step daughter recently said there had not been any famousmusicians from Birmingham, was she wrong, or what when I started reeling a fewnames off.

It was ken lewis, morturn, do you know what part of brum he came from, I am sure he mentioned Aston, he was quite ill when I last met him suffering with diabetis, hav't seen him for a few years now, so may well have passed on.
paul

There are a few Flowerpot Men segments on Youtube. Love them" Once upon a time there was a little house, etc." A few years ago there was a magazine for the more recent Flowerpot men. I have a little Weed puppet. I think there is something about the series on the Whirligig site as well.

I think the Flowerpot Men refered to by previous posters are the band who were in the charts in the 60's with 'Let's go to San Francisco' not Bill and Ben!!!

If you can read the book called Brum Rocked On, you will not believe how many groups there were actually in Birmingham. Its worth reading.

anyone remember the "flowerpot men" one of the group now lives in cambridge, or did a few years ago can't remember his name now but if anyone remembers the group and can name them I will remember when I see the name.
paul
I used to listen to radio Luxembourg in 1967 when I was Taxi driving, used to love the Flower Pot Men and the other Flower Power groups, always remember Luxembourg closing down at 2 am with "at the end of the day just kneel and pray" what remained of the night shift was totally boring with nothing to listen to.

Ken Lewis (real name Hawker) was from Small Heath as was his songwriting partner John Carter (real name Shakespeare). I've just heard on Brian Matthew's Radio 2 show that Ken that Ken is now in a nursing home in Staffordshire.

I am sad to hear about Ken, I used to run him around and he was working on a song in the early 90's and used to go to a recording studio in Hilton, Nr Cambridge, and he said he was a director of Centary Records London, he was a really nice bloke and as we both came from Brum got on well.
paul

Back