• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Gas

Don't know how accurately the colours were transcribed in this photo (transparencey) I took at Lawrence St.
14. lawrence st houses B.jpg

Last edited:
Strangely enough I do not recall those in the Solihull area

I seem to remember that they were silver (or rather aluminium paint). There was one just outside my house which I must have looked at for 20 years but can't guarantee I have recollected the correct colour!

I seem to remember that they were silver (or rather aluminium paint). There was one just outside my house which I must have looked at for 20 years but can't guarantee I have recollected the correct colour!
Funny isn't it. A bit like Signal Boxes; we pass them every day as we cross level crossings, but never even give them a thought. They are there in front of us on a daily basis, but ask anyone what colour they are....... Gerry

Post 14#. from Astoness, was the thread that I was trying to remember in my initial post.
I knew someone would find it. Lots of pics of the past in that thread.

Hi all, I have a lamp post similar to the one shown, I purchased it from the Bham city highways Dept 35yrs ago, I converted it to Electric light and it now stands in my front garden, I had to remake the lantern head as it was missing. Regards Eddyjay.

that's great matey. I have another picture of mine, let me see if I can find it. Here it is in the depths of winter, covered in frost. GerryDecember 7th 2010 The Mere. In Depths of Winter. 019.jpg

My recollection of lamp post colours are, as you say, cream or off white but the base was more dark maroon rather than brown, but of course I may be mistaken.
That was my thought too when thinking about the electric sidestreet lamp posts of my youth. I think the Museum of Science and Industry might have had a cream/blue one when their Birmingham tram was displayed behind a big window. Perhaps, as now, the colours changed from year-to-year. The rule seems to be that they can't be the same as the neighbouring local authorities!

1547666066033.png
1547666400822.png
Looking through the thread mentioned in post 14# most of the street lights are electric and are therefore green - tall ones above roof line on busier roads and also on the side streets. However I did spot these photos there.

my grandad and nan had only gas lighting. up to the 70s.in derby, there was a light in the living room turned on and off by pulling a chain. no lights upstairs it was candles.it fascinated me,i love staying with them

This is a good account of William Murdock - Locomotive Pioneer and Inventor of Gas Lighting.

Attachments

• William Murdock - Locomotive Pioneer and Inventor of Gas Lighting.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 8
It appears these streets were listed as 'fresh' in 1867 including the original spelling 'Lenox Street'

Attachments

• gas-lights.jpg
    gas-lights.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 6
Back