• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Central Fire Station 40ft pole drop from 2 levels. It was Fireman "Buck Ryans" party piece to climb up the pole to the top no one could match this feat of strength(ex P.T.I) although some tried including me we never made it more than an arms length.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190330-171734.jpg
    Screenshot_20190330-171734.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 24
Hi All, I’ve been looking at my family history and I’ve been told my Great Great Grandad Walter Starkey was in the fire service possibly around 1901-1911. Are there any records I can view to see where he served?

Family members have said his Fire Service helmet and Axe were once on display at Blakesly Hall (Yardley) along with a picture of him standing next to a horse drawn engine.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
My great grandfather Walter Crisp Starkey was a fireman. He married Harriet Hayes, they lived in Aston.

Found this on Auction Net, a steam fire engine (still horse-drawn). The image must have been taken at some sort of maitenance depot as the handwriting suggests all 'steamers' were tested monthly at this place. Sorry no date. Viv.

View attachment 119467
I have a picture of
Found this on Auction Net, a steam fire engine (still horse-drawn). The image must have been taken at some sort of maitenance depot as the handwriting suggests all 'steamers' were tested monthly at this place. Sorry no date. Viv.

View attachment 119467
I have a photo of Walter Hayes with his family and the gentleman on the left is a spitting image

As a member of Birmingham Fire(Facebook) dedicated to the history of Birmingham Fire Brigade pre and post war together with the Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service and it's Control Rooms. Indeed anything connected with above ie Fire Fighting, Firemen, Drills, Stations and Social Events not already posted on the forum would be very much appreciated. So, could I ask members of Birmingham History Forum to search their archives for any pictures and stories etc. Thanking you in anticipation.
Good morning, I've just stumbled across a post regarding FM Alan Carr, I was a Brigade child, with both mom & dad in the job, I remember Alan, from memory they believe he fell asleep after riding home from the continent either Spain or France. I grew up in the Brigade maisonettes on Woodcock Lane, dad spent time at Ako Green and mom cleaned there as by then we'd moved to just off the Avenue. Dad spent most of the job at Billesley along with John Sharp, Dave Able, Alan Margetts, Jock O'Donnell, Jack Singh mom ended up there first as cleaner then cook. My dad was Trevor "Badger" Cartwright
you might remember him.

As a member of Birmingham Fire(Facebook) dedicated to the history of Birmingham Fire Brigade pre and post war together with the Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service and it's Control Rooms. Indeed anything connected with above ie Fire Fighting, Firemen, Drills, Stations and Social Events not already posted on the forum would be very much appreciated. So, could I ask members of Birmingham History Forum to search their archives for any pictures and stories etc. Thanking you in anticipation.
Just noticed this post. Does the FB page mentioned still exist and if so can you please provide a link?
My Dad was in 1947-72, at Albion Street for 14 years and Harborne for 11 years. Have a couple of pictures of him so will post later.

This looks a full line-up of the Albion Street men in 1949. My Dad, Chas Steele, is on the extreme right of the middle row.

Albion St 1949.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
This photo was taken at the NFS Training School in Sutton Park in November 1947.
My Dad is the one to the right of the officer on the front row.
fire service training_0001.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Thanks for posting. I have taken the liberty of reposting the pictures of your dad on the WMFS site as they will be of great interest to the old hands who will remember him.

• Appreciate
Reactions: 3Es
Good morning, I've just stumbled across a post regarding FM Alan Carr, I was a Brigade child, with both mom & dad in the job, I remember Alan, from memory they believe he fell asleep after riding home from the continent either Spain or France. I grew up in the Brigade maisonettes on Woodcock Lane, dad spent time at Ako Green and mom cleaned there as by then we'd moved to just off the Avenue. Dad spent most of the job at Billesley along with John Sharp, Dave Able, Alan Margetts, Jock O'Donnell, Jack Singh mom ended up there first as cleaner then cook. My dad was Trevor "Badger" Cartwright
you might remember him.
Hiya, I knew all the men you refer to and I lived in the Bedsit 1962 and served at the Green in 1971 happy memories of Badger and our banter when we crossed paths. Have you any pictures of those days?

Thanks for posting. I have taken the liberty of reposting the pictures of your dad on the WMFS site as they will be of great interest to the old hands who will remember him.
No problem, I have one more photo of him which I think was at Albion Street when Ted George was SO on his watch, probably taken at the party when Ted left to go Harborne.
I have a list of names so will post when I have added them.

I think this one was taken at Albion Street around 1960. Hopefully I have got the names right as they were told to me by my Dad about 50 years after the event,IMG_0001 (1280x754).jpg

Gary Owen was English and World Amateur Snooker Champion in 1963 and World Champion in 1966. He lost in the final of the World Professional Championship to John Spencer in 1969. After moving to Australia he lost two Australian Professional Finals to Eddie Charlton.

Similarly the 'Coventry yellow' was a good idea - try finding a fire engine in some congested cities with red buses and post office vehicles in the frame, to name just two.
I remember the Coventry trials with different colours. The problem with the yellow was that it tended to merge into the background under sodium lights at night.

A Brilliant blast from the past thanks for posting them I have put them on the WMFS retired site and no doubt they will generate a great deal of interest. I will keep you posted with any comments.

Inside centre comment from Paul Arnold re Badger.I served at Brook Lane in the 70's as a LFm on Red Watch with Badger, Dave Abel, John Sharp, John Herdman, and Co. I remember your Mom well. The last time I saw her was at your Dads funeral. Please remember me to her. I really liked badger and we got on well, a smashing chap and a 'salt of the earth' always ready for a joke and merry quip. All the best. Happy days.

Back