• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Hi my name is colin king I have a collection of fire service cap badges from 1948 to the present day I am collating information on each brigade I know in 1952 Birmingham Fire and Ambulance had 19 stations above are 10 plus the HQ does anyone know the other 8 also if they were they numbered thanks in advance
Colin

Hi my name is colin king I have a collection of fire service cap badges from 1948 to the present day I am collating information on each brigade I know in 1952 Birmingham Fire and Ambulance had 19 stations above are 10 plus the HQ does anyone know the other 8 also if they were they numbered thanks in advance
Colin
Birmingham Fire Stations - Last Century.

Acocks Green

Albion St

Aldridge Rd

Aston (Ettington Rd)

Aston Manor (Chester St, Aston)

Balsall Heath (Lime Grove)

Bartley Green

Billesley

Bordesley Green

Bournbrook

Central (Lancaster Circus/Aston St)

Erdington

Handsworth

Harborne

Hay Mills

Highgate

Kings Heath

Kings Norton

Ladywood

Lingard St

Little Cannon St (now Fore St)

Moseley Rd

Northfield

Perry Barr (College Rd)

Selly Oak

Sheldon

Sparkhill

Union St/Corporation St (1879-82)

Upper Priory

Ward End

Ward End Park

Wash Lane

Woodgate Valley

Sub Stations Listed in the 1920 Fire Protection of Birmingham Handbook

Great Colmore St

Bartley Green

Cotteridge

Kings Norton

Stirchley

Quinton

Perry Barr

Stechford

Ward End

Erasmus Rd

Hay Mills

Moseley

Here is a picture from the 1929-30 City of Birmingham Handbook of the Fire Brigade Band.

Birmingham fire Brigade Band.jpg

As a member of Birmingham Fire(Facebook) dedicated to the history of Birmingham Fire Brigade pre and post war together with the Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service and it's Control Rooms. Indeed anything connected with above ie Fire Fighting, Firemen, Drills, Stations and Social Events not already posted on the forum would be very much appreciated. So, could I ask members of Birmingham History Forum to search their archives for any pictures and stories etc. Thanking you in anticipation.

Found this on Auction Net, a steam fire engine (still horse-drawn). The image must have been taken at some sort of maitenance depot as the handwriting suggests all 'steamers' were tested monthly at this place. Sorry no date. Viv.

image.jpeg

Cheers Vivienne for the pic which we believe was taken at the upper priory Station in the city centre. If You find anymore please pass them on.

Vivienne, I hate to rain on the party but that pic of the steamer (Post 28) looks more like the uniforms of Birmingham , Alabama or Michigan, than Birmingham, England. I can be corrected but hose uniforms do not look quite right to me. Here is my evidence - an about 1899 picture of firemen in Birmingham, Alabama.
We shall see, that is if any supporting evidence comes to light. ;)
* Mindful that this Forum is the history of Birmingham, England (the olde original) I also bear in mind that Birmingham, Alabama and Birmingham, Michigan were named after the English city.

e6a1b4c62ef7ee5fff6d177f28e116d2--birmingham-alabama-horse-drawn.jpg

Found this on Auction Net, a steam fire engine (still horse-drawn). The image must have been taken at some sort of maitenance depot as the handwriting suggests all 'steamers' were tested monthly at this place. Sorry no date. Viv.

View attachment 119467

Re Picture in post 28.
I am 100% sure the Station is Lingard St, Birmingham, England. c1905. (The balcony railings match up to other pictures of Lingard St Fire Station.)
I think the Fireman on the left is Walter Hayes and the one on the right is Lewis Allen.

Hard to tell Alan, afraid I can't add anything on that. All I can say is that it was with many other Birmingham England images (not fire service ones) - although I realise that's no guarantee of course.

Thanks Two. I did wonder about the architecture (windows and window dressings) which struck me as typically English. But I'm no expert. Viv.

Hi Viv, Two Master Brummie is correct the picture of the Steamer is located at Lingard Street as verified by a member of the WMFS Heritage Group comparing the railings with a picture they had of Lingard Street. They even found Station Officer Lewis Allen living at the Upper Priory Fire Station.

Aggie,
at least those gentlemen in your post do look like British firemen, particularly with their lancer style tunics. I was issued with tow lancer style jackets when I joined the fire service, they were replaced in the mid 1970's, in the brigade where I lived, with a newer style without shiny buttons and epaulettes.
However, we kept the better of the two for weddings, funerals and certain other ceremonial uses.

Thanks aggie. Glad it's confirmed. Maybe the uniforms in #28 photo aren't too smart simply because they're working on engines all day. Assume it was a very oily job. Viv.

Fine body of men at Lingard Street

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170714-094539.jpg
    Screenshot_20170714-094539.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Re image #40. Why are the two officers in the middle wearing single-breasted jackets while the other officers are wearing double-breasted jackets ? Seniority ? Or different jobs ? The two in the middle also have medals.

Great photos Aggie. Viv.

Back