• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Films And Videos

Thanks Janice. Not sure it'll be my cuppa either Janice! But the boost to the local economy look good. Viv.

A few others and some referred to:-
Ready Player One (2018) - The Spielberg film mentioned
The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) - In cinemas now
Prostitute (1980) - the sort of thing we'd rather forget
Work Is a 4-Letter Word (1968) - Somewhere there's a crowd scene with my dad in the background along with the senior staff at the TGWU and a large part of the town council. Trouble is he only told me years after I last saw the film.

And one neither set in nor filmed in Birmingham but based on the story of a local family. (see reviews)
Existence (1973)

links are to the relevant page on imdb
You can actually search imdb locations by going to this page and typing in the location into a box that says "film locations". If you search for Birmingham you will get a long list including the other Birmingham. If you try Birmingham, UK you get only 3 films because a lot of the locations are more detailed than that. If you search from Birmingham as a location and United Kingdom as a country you get a long but mostly appropriate list. Here's a few I didn't think of...
Brassed Off (1996) - partly filmed at the town hall
Clockwise (1986) - King Edwards Grammar (among others).
Clubbed (2008)

Since IMDB also lists TV shows there are a lot of them but they do have 554 entries. I suspect some will relate to the other Birmingham but this search seems to work.
click here to run

Hi Mike.
I don't know where the first picture was.
But the second picture is Nechells Power Station.The wooden cooling towers on the extreme right of the picture belonged to the power station.The bank of cooling towers in the distance,just to the right of the gasometers belonged to the Temporary Power Station,built during WWI,which stood just to the north of the Aston to Stechford railway line.So I think the image was taken looking south from the road running through the filter beds of the Drainage Board,between Nechells Power Station and the Birmingham-Fazeley canal,as per the map. 1938-2.jpg
The third picture seems to show the twin towers of St Chad's cathedral,so my guess is the power station to the left is Summer Lane.

Took a few stills from the film. Some I'm not quite clear as to where they are. I assume the power station is Nechells, but not sure about where it was taken from. Any suggestions ?

end_of_day_at_factory_1930.jpg

gasometers_1930.jpg

Birmingham_power_station_1930.jpg

Just noticed that there is a short programme on "Freeview 81" this evening at 7.45 Glimpses of the Midlands in the 1960's

Back