• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Films And Videos

After the Richard Trengrouse Tour of Historical Digbeth I found on YouTube I've come up with one by Ben Waddington. It seems to have been filmed in December 2008. Apologies if you've all seen it before but it's new to me. Interestingly he takes a swipe at The Crown's claims re oldest pub etc.

Don't know if this has been on before, but wonder if Lynn knows where it was .Full title reads: "B'Ham. Five Weeks Up The Pole?". Hockley, Birmingham. GV Zoom in to John Stokes in a barrel at the top of a pole. CU Stokes as he waves. CU Man on telephone. SV Ditto, camera pans up to shohttps://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44200w Stokes on phone in barrel CU Stokes talking on telephone. CU Man on ground putting tea pot and cup into bucket.https://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44200

Astonite Ray Barrett may know as I remember him putting one on with his nan climbing the pole?. Just looked and it is a different one Astonite. Jean.

Lovely! I recognised most of the places, but not all....

In the same set of videos was Steampacket, with Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll, Long John Baldry and Brian Auger. I saw them at Aston University (then the CAT) around 1966, and Julie Driscoll on her own at The Elbow Room a while later.

Big Gee

Great photos. Many of these I remember as if it was only yesterday! One I can't place is the one of the Stationery Office. Is it Steelhouse Lane? Viv.

Can anyone remember the name of the shop in the row by Aston station. The old furniture shop next to Aston Wallpaper House. I had a Saturday job there, but I'm buggered if I can remember the name of it.

The bus that is the second slide in the show came as a shock for me, the man on the upper deck looking at, presumably the cameraman is my dad!!!!! I did at the time I first saw it email Mark Norton and he sent me the original picture that he had scanned from a slide which had much better definition.

Back