• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham FC

Fans at St Andrews threw 10p coins on the pitch. Police couldn't decide whether it was an act of hooliganism or a take over bid. -

Hi Terry,

It was neither one or the other. The fans were showing that they would like a return to the Good Old Days. This was when charities making a collection would walk round the pitch with 4 men holding each corner of a spreadout blanket. The fans would throw their contributions on to the blanket. Other helpers would walk with them picking up coins that missed They were great days even though Blues won nothing.

Old Boy.

These good old days still take place at my local team here in Ayrshire "BEITH JUNIORS". The said blanket goes round the ground normally for a collection for an injured player (due to them being amateurs).

Good Old Brummagem..
[video=youtube;0A-1lGRDe64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-1lGRDe64[/video]

St Andrews 1979
[video=youtube;gDnj_kgOuoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gDnj_kgOuoQ#![/video]

View attachment 76897
There is something very fishy about this "Argus" clipping.The young guy in the trilby is Doug Ellis(before he went over to the dark side).At the time the youngest director on the Blues board.With him are left to right-Bobby Thompson/Colin Green/Johnny Vincent/Ron Wylie/Ron Fenton.
Code:
I have no idea what the heck is going on in this pic
,but I appologise to all our lady members for some of the guys posing in their underpants !!
Having no interest in football but knowing Doug was a keen angler I can only guess they're celebrating him catching that monster. Why in Y fronts is a mystery unless they had to paddle in to help him pull it out.

What a day for the Blue's. I can recall many up's and down's, but todays 92nd minute goal in the final match of the season meaning relegation avoided, has to be one to remember.. The last minute of the season. Phew!

What is wrong with Birmingham/Black Country Football, Baggies and Villa just avoiding relegation to Championship, Blues avoiding Div 1 by goal difference and Wolves spending a season in Div 1 and yet smaller cities such as Manchester and Liverpool all produce teams at the top end of the table, Why // Eric

Don't know what it is about Midlands football teams lately Eric, but what a stressful afternoon that was. So pleased that they didn't buckle when 2-0 down, but kept plugging away.

yes well done to birmingham city football club...due to the off the pitch problems they have had this season they did very well to avoid relegation...KEEP RIGHT ON...i am now sweating it out that my west brom can do the same...

What a great result too bring our fantastic away support up from the depth of despair to great joy.
What we want now is some decent owners Birmingham based
John Hughes
Blue nose

as a Villa supporter sincere congrats to Blues for avoiding relegation, lets hope a buyer comes along who will invest in the club, it would be nice to see all our clubs in the premier league with lots of local derbies like in the past. Eric

I am a OLD Blues fan, from the late 40s early 50s, how well I remember the matches. swaying, singing hanging on for dear life. Fun times. Gil Merrick my idol. Getting pissed in the local pubs after the games. Then I switched to the Villians WHY? NOW as said before ALL the Midland clubs are struggling to stay up, never mind about even challenging for the cup. I also have wondered why the up north teams do so well. The London clubs also never seem to quite make the top? Money IS the key I guess. But why? Teams now have only a handful of British born players. Is there a limit? John Crump OldBrit, Parker, Colorado USA

as a Villa supporter sincere congrats to Blues for avoiding relegation, lets hope a buyer comes along who will invest in the club, it would be nice to see all our clubs in the premier league with lots of local derbies like in the past. Eric

Here, here Eric.

I am a OLD Blues fan, from the late 40s early 50s, how well I remember the matches. swaying, singing hanging on for dear life. Fun times. Gil Merrick my idol. Getting pissed in the local pubs after the games. Then I switched to the Villians WHY? NOW as said before ALL the Midland clubs are struggling to stay up, never mind about even challenging for the cup. I also have wondered why the up north teams do so well. The London clubs also never seem to quite make the top? Money IS the key I guess. But why? Teams now have only a handful of British born players. Is there a limit? John Crump OldBrit, Parker, Colorado USA

hi john...i am going slightly off topic here but just a quick response to your post re foreign players...i have been saying for the past 25 years now that unless the FA put a limit of say only 3 foreign players allowed to play for teams in the top flight i cant see england ever winning the world cup again..i would love to be proved wrong but i just dont think the FA will bring in this ruling....anyhow going back on topic...well done blues for a great come back yesterday and well said eric...

lyn

i have been saying for the past 25 years now that unless the FA put a limit of say only 3 foreign players allowed to play for teams in the top flight...

Trouble is now we are part of the EU we cannot legally limit how many players from the EU can play in an English football team.

And of course if you limit foreign players too much our football teams would never be able to win any European competitions. Look how many foreign players teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal had when they played in the Champions league finals.

as a Villa supporter sincere congrats to Blues for avoiding relegation

I am also a Villa supporter who was so pleased when Birmingham scored that goal in the last minute to avoid relegation.

Birmingham as a city needs successful football teams, and if both Blues and Villa had gone down it would have reflected badly on the city.

Look how much publicity and kudos Manchester gets from having two top football teams.

And look how little publicity a city like say Sheffield gets for having two once top football teams outside the top divisions.

Back