• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Factory Football Teams

My father was in a works team in the Cradley Heath area about 1925-1930. I have a photo of the team with trophies and medals. I also have his medal inscribed CCHC Wnrs BIW 1925. How do I load the photo to ask if anyone help to identify the team. (He worked for Ernest Stevens Hardware - Jury Holloware- and I also wondered if there were any composite teams for several firms in the same industry?)

I played for Thor Hammer in the Sunday Alliance in the 80's,& B'ham Post & Mail ( BPM Rangers).
Bryants FC ( the building firm) on a Saturday. Bob Wilson was coach/manager. That was a good crack back in those days.
Also played for Bellrock United (from Yew Tree Pub), Kingshurst Labour Club etc. Good times!

Hi anyone remember a team named CHANCELLOR OR CHANNCELLAR they played in 1930/31 in the area of Garrison lane area my father was john barnes any clues would be appreciated Acer

Gosh!!! look at the size of that ball. I handled a few wet ones but not that big, that would have knocked your block off.

Dave

acer, I'm sorry I do not. It is obviously the letters of a company but I as an ex engineer travelling to these places I cannot help

Jen, it says F.C which I have always thought was short for Football Club. It's hardly oval unless it is well worn.

Dave

On post #43 there is a young lad who has managed Aston Villa, Man united and so on. Has anybody got it now?
Dave

Big Ron.......that photo must be of the BSA Tools from where the Villa signed him from, I would never have known without the clues.....

aston lad,
At last someone got him, how he ever got the name Big Ron he or I do not know. I was nearly 6'-3" and he was 6'-0" the keeper who is standing next to him was only about 5'-2" and you knew if there was a high ball coming over where it would end up. I think it was the defence which prevented the oponents scoring. I stopped playing for the works team as it was so rough and I was getting elbows in the ribs and hips, being kicked with the ball in my guts while on the ground seemed a fair challenge in those days.
I still have the evidence of a 9" gash down my right shin where on opponent put his foot up to stop me clearing the ball, I had to come off the field, no football for 6 weeks and no work for two days because I could not walk. He did not have his name taken.
The photo is of the B.S.A as it says on the ball.

Dave

Eddie 14......I didn't see the name on the ball either.....The goalkeeper didn't have to be to tall those days, I don't think anyone could boot the ball in the air when it go wet, I used to duck out of the way when they did, I packed up playing because I was totally Rubbish.......I played for or turned up Bristol Street Motors (Brismo) in the early to mid 1970's.......

aston lad, it's funny that you missed the name of the company which was clearly on the ball. There are not many of those lads still alive, the goalkeeper died when 30 years old and all the elders have gone. I am still in touch with three of them, one was my best man back in 1959.
Talking about the size of the ball and the weight when wet, we were playing Shirly C.A at Bently heath and it started to snow but of course the game went on and the snow got heavier and heavier and the ball got bigger in diameter as it rolled along the ground, in those days the goalkeeper had to bounce the ball every (I think 3 steps) that was not possible at all so you had to kick it first time within those three steps or you could have it kicked away from you. Great times!!!

Dave

Back