• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Factory Football Teams

Dave,
Sorry no trace of Parkinson Cowan but if they did not win any of the divisions, of which there are on average twenty four, they would not be shown. There is a firm Parkinson Stoves who won in 1928.

Hope the following comes out for it shows a photo from the book of all the silver ware of the association as it appeared in Lewis's window in October, 1955

001-1.jpg
Cheers Will.

Dave,
Sorry no trace of Parkinson Cowan but if they did not win any of the divisions, of which there are on average twenty four, they would not be shown. There is a firm Parkinson Stoves who won in 1928.

Hope the following comes out for it shows a photo from the book of all the silver ware of the association as it appeared in Lewis's window in October, 1955

001-1.jpg
Cheers Will.

Hi Will,

Yes, that is the same company, it was a very large factory which stretched from
Iron Lane Stechford up Station Road hill to the Railway. Theres a trading estate
now on its old site. I believe they were taken over by Electrolux who used their
name on some of thei cookers. Parkinson's also made the 'Monitor' paraffin heaters.

Kind regards

Dave

Sorry if this is the wrong place but it is football related but not factory!

Stechford Winner of Birmingham F.C. Shield 1937-8.

My Uncle, James Frank BOTT told me he helped to set up this football team.

James is pictured on the back row in a dark jacket. Anyone recognise him or anyone else?

I am so glad I discovered this thread as I think it has solved the mystery of a medal we found in an old trunk that belonged to my Great Grandfather. We are in Perth, Western Australia and found the medal along with some old football team photo "postcards" and have been running in circles trying to track down its origin ever since. We believe he was involved in football in the area at that time before the war, however his history before joining the army and eventually immigrating to Australia is somewhat of a mystery to our family.

I am now fairly certain the medal is from one of the cup competitions of the Birmingham & District Works Amateur FA. I have seen the Wilkinson Cup mentioned in old newspaper articles relating to the football association. I have not been able to track down any specific information relating to the 1912-13 season, or the team name the initials EW FC stand for. Any assistance would be appreciated.

medal1.JPGmedal2.JPG

Thanks

Greg

Welcome to the Forum, grb, and let's hope that one of our knowledgeable members can help you.

Chris

The Devil is in the detail as they say I would think that the medal is not for any sports related prowess as they would normally included the sport they took part in on the medal, hopefully this you will see from a catalogue from 1904 and for some reason it is back to front but hopefully you will get the idea I suspect that it was not for football?

Medals WJD  1904.jpg
I am so glad I discovered this thread as I think it has solved the mystery of a medal we found in an old trunk that belonged to my Great Grandfather. We are in Perth, Western Australia and found the medal along with some old football team photo "postcards" and have been running in circles trying to track down its origin ever since. We believe he was involved in football in the area at that time before the war, however his history before joining the army and eventually immigrating to Australia is somewhat of a mystery to our family.

I am now fairly certain the medal is from one of the cup competitions of the Birmingham & District Works Amateur FA. I have seen the Wilkinson Cup mentioned in old newspaper articles relating to the football association. I have not been able to track down any specific information relating to the 1912-13 season, or the team name the initials EW FC stand for. Any assistance would be appreciated.

View attachment 85119View attachment 85120

Thanks

Greg

My assumption is that EWFC represents the name of a Football Club belonging to a Company with the initials "E.W." I have posted something in the Factories section of this Forum, pointing members to this thread.

Would it be possible to post one of the images showing a/the team, grb?

Chris

Last edited:
When I started playing in the B'ham Works league there were 18 divisions in it plus the youth division which consisted of apprentice teams so there could have been about 250 different teams all from factories in Birmingham.

When I go in the loft again, will get down the refs award Grandad got and put it on the site, he refereed in this area for many years, until he died in 1964.
Sue

I have a team photo of one of my great uncles when he played for the Metropolitan Cammell in the early twenties

It would be nice to find out the company EW FC from the original post.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replys, it's very much appreciated.

Below are the photo "postcards" we found in the trunk with the medal. It's hard to be certain that it is definitely the team "EW FC", however it does seem a coincidence considering they were both together. I've included the message that was on the back of the postcard. I have also included a cricket team postcard that was with it as well. Again, we do not have any info on which team it is and some of the writing on the back is hard to distinguish.

photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpg

From census data we have been able to gather that my great grandfather, Henry "Harry" Evans worked as a grocer at that time. He died at age 46 and his daughter (my Dad's mother) died young also, so my father did not get much of a chance to speak to them about his life in Birmingham before the war and immigrating to Australia.

I have been trying to get my hands on the book "The Birmingham and District Works Amateur Football Association, Golden Jubilee Souvenir Book" which may contain records of this competition, however I have not been able to source a copy so far. It seems the Birmingham Library may have this in their archives, so I may be able to look at this when I am over in the UK in September.

Thanks Again,

Greg

Greg, it will depend on when in September you are over, the archives at the library are currently unavailable, as the library is transferred to its new home.
I think the re-opening date is September though, so fingers crossed it will coincide with your visit.
Sue

Greg, it will depend on when in September you are over, the archives at the library are currently unavailable, as the library is transferred to its new home.
I think the re-opening date is September though, so fingers crossed it will coincide with your visit.
Sue

Yes, I did see that. Luckily I am over after the library re-opens however I imagine it will be very busy!

E.W.F.C....... There was a late 19th/early 20th C club called the English Wanderers Football Club, a national team with no obvious connection with Birmingham (although they probably had their badges made by Fattorini!)

Chris

Think this is a good place for this photo of Castle Bromwich Aeroplane Factory F.C. In 1945. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372496156.315790.jpg

Back