• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Events

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
As I mentioned in an earlier post I am attempting to transfer all my old photos to digital images, done just under 2000 images, about 2/3rds. Come across a number of photos of Birmingham events. The Super Prix dates from 1988 and I think the others would also date from about that time.
Birmingham Super Prix picture taken junction of Bristol Road/Bristol Street and Belgrave Middleway.
The Milk Race taken on Colmore Row just by the Cathedral.
The Horse show was at Cannon Hill Park and the picture taken on Edgbaston Road by Edgbaston Cricket Ground.
Anyone add a date to the last two.

Colin

Attachments

• 1-8-2010_217.JPG
    1-8-2010_217.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 6
  • 1-4-2010_065.JPG
    1-4-2010_065.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1-4-2010_175.JPG
    1-4-2010_175.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Wow Colin what amazing photo's it's hard to believe that they were taken in Brum.........thanks for posting them!

Colin I remember the tulip festival it was so lovely. Your photo's are great and have transported me back there........thank you!

Another Birmingham event an Open Day at Tysley during the early 70's. I remember everyone putting coins on the line for the trains to run over

Colin

As a precursory event for the Birmingham Super Prix, in 1984 there were two parades of vehicles around the proposed course. The roads were closed early morning and a trial speed run was held, the Police motorcycle was unable to keep up with the racing car, and the car had to be stopped on a number of occasions. As the event wasn't until the afternoon access was available to cars if you could convince the marshall's that you had reason to drive in the area, parts of the track ran the wrong way on some roads, so it gave us the chance to legally drive on the wrong side of the road, I did at least 4 laps of the course before we were red flagged and they closed it completely.

Colin

Great photos Colin - thanks for posting.

We couldn't hold a Super prix these days - not with all the potholes in the roads anyway !

I went to the first Birmingham race in 1986.

I am not a race fan at all, but wanted to go and see it. I also took some photos (probably not very good ones) that I will see if I can dig out. I have not seen them for years.

One of the difficulties of staging an event like this, round suburban streets, is fencing it so that people cannot get in for nothing, but so the people who live in the area can still get in and out of their houses to go shopping or go to the pub or whatever.

I remember the council had to erect miles and miles of fencing, to separate the "racing area" from the general public "outside". People lving in the area were given "passes" to prove they lived there and to allow them in and out of the area via special gates.

I did not fancy paying to get in so decided to walk round and find somewhere where I could get in for nothing. I eventually found a place on Belgrave Middleway (near the Central Mosque) where the road goes over the river.

It is of course very difficult to "fence in" a river so I was able to climb along a wall and get in the racing area for nothing.

As is common knowledge, the practice race was due to start at around 9 a.m. but was delayed till nearly midday.

Afterwards the council blamed "vandals" for interfering with the safety barriers, but I was standing on part of the circuit where the barriers were not in place at all and the council workers were working hard to erect them between 9am and midday.

I was very annoyed with the council next day for blaming vandals when it seemed to be their own inability to get the barriers up in time.

I had not visited any sort of race (F1 or F3) before and before the racing started I remember seeing the marshalls with their ear defenders on and thinking "cowards".

But then the race started and the cars began going past and I could not believe the NOISE. It hurt my ears.

I was trying to crouch down next to the track to take pictures, but every time a car went past it hurt the ear nearest the track so much I had to put a finger in it.

After a while I was having to try to take pictures holding the camera with one hand and with a finger in my ear from the other hand.

After a while the noise became too much (and I was having concerns about the long term effect on my hearing) so I left.

I never went to any of the other races.

As I said, I have some pictures somewhere, but finding them may be difficult.

Couple of other things.

At one end of Belgrave Middleway, where it meets Highgate Middleway (there are a few large shops there like PC World) is a large roundabout. This roundabout was "chopped" in half (half the grass removed) as it formed part of the racing circuit. If you go there now, or look at it on Google maps, you can still see the "half" a roundabout, left over from the race.

The starting point for the race was on Bristol Street, the side going west - out of the city centre (there used to be a couple of car showrooms there). The painting on the road to show the position of each car was there for YEARS after the racing finished, although it has probably all worn away by now (or been resurfaced).

Colin those photo's are all fantastic. I like Wendy remember the tulip festival in Cannon Hill Park and my dad used to send for his bulbs from a Dutch company by the name of Bakkers. I don't envy your task at the moment but look forward to moor of your old Brum photo's. Jean.

Guilbert

I can voucn for the noise. I lived in Selly Oak about 5 miles away and the noise was too much. It must have been miserable for anyone living near.

Old Boy

Great photos of the old steam engins Colin, please keep them comming I do so love to see old photos, many thanks very enjoyable

bigears, welcome to the forum, if you start a new thread in the "General Discussion" area, and await the response, we can edit and move it at a later date. I do have other photo's, I will IM you.

Colin

Under "History and Nostaliga" is a section "Birmingham Sports History"

How about there?

btw I am not an admin on this site, just a normal user, but it seems a logical place to me.

Mind you this is such a HUGE site it is very easy for things to get "lost" on here (hidden away in a topic)

View attachment 55142View attachment 55201I was asked to make sure the drivers got a good impression of Birmingham so I got quite friendly with a few of them. From the right is Sir Stirling Moss, Innis Ireland,Michael Parkinson who of course is not a racing driver and the great man himself who took a shine to my son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Colin
Your photo of the 1988 super prix has brought back so many memories, I lived in the tower block at the back of the picture, it was named Haddon tower and our flat was on the front of the 10th floor so we had a full balcony and great views of the start line right up to the big island, the smell and noise were unforgettable.
happy days
Steve & Carol

View attachment 55142View attachment 55201I was asked to make sure the drivers got a good impression of Birmingham so I got quite friendly with a few of them. From the right is Sir Stirling Moss, Innis Ireland,Michael Parkinson who of course is not a racing driver and the great man himself who took a shine to my son.

What year was the photo taken? It is great to see those people looking pretty relaxed in public.

Do you or anyone have any more stories from the Birmingham Superprix?

Back