• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham DJ's

M

malvern

Does anyone remember some of the 60s and 70s Birmingham DJs. I used to run a disco at the Dears Leap and employed a few but can only remember;

TOMMY FARR

MAD MOSES (Regular at the Queens Head Erdington were he had previously worked behind the bar

Anyone remember any others in Birmingham

I dont know if he had a nickname but a man I knew used to DJ Sarah Moons. His equipment was always heavy on the bass. His name was John.

The D.J for the Springhill rollerink in the 60's was a guy called Doc Holiday if my memory serves me correct. Also, Les Ross (local radio celebrity) used to spin the plastic there I believe?

God, my memory...The old grey matter is disappearing far too quickly these days!!!

Mayfield

:coolcheesy:Mayfield, I dont remember any disc spinners because although I worked the doors at quite a few venues, they all seemed to be live music gigs. I remembr John from Sarah Moons because I used to talk to him over a curry in the early hours.
Dont worry about the grey matter. At this time in your life it matters not if your friends know your secrets because they will foget them as well.
Trevor

Hi DJs at the Golden Cross short heath rd erdington in the 70s were
Micky James/Flash/Dave Horton :cool: Tommy Duffey was the Licencee

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear that Erskine T is no longer with us. Back in the 60's I was one of the DJs at the Locarno. Erskine was always seen as "The Man" by most DJs in Brum. We bought our weekly stock of records from the Diskery where he worked with Maurice. He would always give us advice about what was good, or not. A friendly guy who knew his music and generously helped others.

MAD MOSES (Regular at the Queens Head Erdington were he had previously worked behind the bar

Anyone remember any others in Birmingham

Mad Moses....Dave Hicks...Peppers Club...well back room of the Queens
realy..:).....Dance run by Bob and Howard ( Jeff ) Thomas..their dad was the licencee....remember Moses well...great Character..:rolleyes:
Could tell a goodly few tales ...but not now;);)

Does anyone remember Pete York and Phil Miller at The Top Rank in Dale End early 1970's.

Bo

Mad Moses....Dave Hicks...Peppers Club...well back room of the Queens
realy..:).....Dance run by Bob and Howard ( Jeff ) Thomas..their dad was the licencee....remember Moses well...great Character..:rolleyes:
Could tell a goodly few tales ...but not now;);)

I can remember the Queens Head when it was Peppers and the name Mad Moses rings a bell but I can't put a face to it.

I was sorry to read (not on this board) that Erskine T had died, he always seemed a really nice guy - I remember him as a DJ at the Elbow Room and Mother's.

On another note - does anyone remember Lance Haigh from the Plaza, Handsworth?!

I remember Tony Craig from Rio Grande on Friday nights (Yew Tree, Yardley), and Robert Bruce (Rio Grande - Sunday)

I started working as a DJ in the Costermonger, when Tommy Tyrell was playing on a Wednesday Night in there. He went on Holiday with (Colin, who did the Sunday) his Brother-in-Law and I covered them.

Next thing I knew, I was working Thursday Night thanks to Hughy the Manager and there I stayed playing most nights at one stage or another until 2000.

I saw a lot of Managers come and go, then became the Manager there myself, whilst also running EDWARDS No.8 and the GALLOWS..... Fun Times.... Then the Fire at Edwards in 2006 changed many things and I now run EDDIES on Gough Street. Still lots of fun and enjoy playing the tunes every weekend.

You should call in some time and see what we're up to. :stupid:

Hi Chucka, Barmy Barry is alive and kicking living in Staffordshire, how do I know? I'm his daughter, he still attends functions by appointment and sometimes does the odd gig, but he's still the same just a lot older x

I started working as a DJ in the Costermonger, when Tommy Tyrell was playing on a Wednesday Night in there. He went on Holiday with (Colin, who did the Sunday) his Brother-in-Law and I covered them.

Next thing I knew, I was working Thursday Night thanks to Hughy the Manager and there I stayed playing most nights at one stage or another until 2000.

I saw a lot of Managers come and go, then became the Manager there myself, whilst also running EDWARDS No.8 and the GALLOWS..... Fun Times.... Then the Fire at Edwards in 2006 changed many things and I now run EDDIES on Gough Street. Still lots of fun and enjoy playing the tunes every weekend.

You should call in some time and see what we're up to. :stupid:
hey was you playing round 84 onwards, i went in every thurs night after work till went on buses in the 90's?

Back