• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jephcott A R Birmingham Councillor, early 1900's

Shortie

master brummie
Is there any way of obtaining a list of Birmingham Councillors other than going to the Central Library? I have reason to believe one of my own family was a Councillor, but I only have the surname and not the Christian name, in an excerpt from something in the Mail. a bit vague, I know, but I believe it may have been around 1903. Shortie

HI SHORTIE
If you know the surname; please let us know and it will save you time
trekking to the libary records to check the evening mail
and may be one of us oldens can tell you a christian name to it ;
i myself had relatives whom was big names connected to the council for decades
even go back to the days when the birmingham city was formed even the housing departments
which was called bush house
but even if i could not recall the name you can bet your lst dollar one or more
of our experts more knowledable than me will put you right
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;

Hi Astonian, the name was Jephcott, but I am talking about 1903, and although you might be senior, I am sure you are not that old!!!! I have no idea of a Christian name, what I was given was just something to do with a comment that Cllr Jephcott made. My own family from Hockley were Jefcoate, but my 3 x gt grandmother's brothers were all Jephcott. Same family, different spelling. I have tracked a few descendants down to 1911, mostly in the Highgate/Camp Hill/Deritend area. I have not got them all, still ploughing through them.

I was hoping that someone might have a list somewhere, I cannot just hop over to Birmingham at any time, and until I do get to the library I thought that someone on this list just may be able to assist. Many thanks for your reply. Shortie

To add to this question I have been told that my great aunt Roseanna Agatha Morris nee Fisher 1885 to 1965 was a councillor and would like to find out if it's true

Alfred Roger Jephcott, Councillor Bordesley (circa 1903)
Home address
321 Park Road Hockley
and also a commitee member on other boards

Wow! What can I say John? A very big thank you. The Park Road address rings a bell somewhere, I think I have them on the 1911. I shall now get on with my cleaning with a big smile on my face! Shortie

As Birmingham council often named roads after councillors,Jephcott Road off Cotterills lane/Alum Rock road could have been named for your family member.

Hi Alberta, I looked up Alfred Roger Jephcott on the census and it appears he is not mine - or at least not from the Birmingham branch. He was born Foleshill. I have not gone out of Birmingham, but I do believe my lot originated in Nuneaton or Coventry, so you never know! Still hunting, but need to join the Nuneaton FHS to find out more, methinks. Shortie

Back