• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Corporation Transport

horsencart

master brummie
I have now posted a few more items that relate to BCT and remember Bus 208 will NOT pass under certain bridges (this still happens) but not to bus 208 that has long since gone to the scrapyard, https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/

I am due to start scanning the following Birmingham Corporation Tramway & Omnibus Department the down side is that it has no date in the booklet but because of the title it may be possible date from the early 1950,s ? but I suspect that it may date from the 1930,s? the highest ticket price is 7d (old money) a child's fare is 1d any ideas about the date

Re: Birmingham Corparation Transport

Many thanks for your efforts here. Another interesting factor, to me anyway, is the names of new estates that some routes were extended to serve and the addition, for instance of the 42 New Oscott route which I remember as a BMMO route (118?). There are also less "A" suffixes such as 1, 18 and others I guess. But my time line of the area ends in 1954 and these details are of the so called swingin' sixties

The new Beeches Estate Great Barr had a BMMO service numbered 188 and up to the early 1950s, buses were usually Front Entrance Double Deckers. The original terminus was at the junction of Thornbridge Avenue/Beeches Rd, later extended to the junction of Hassop Rd/Beeches Rd. The 119 sevice went to the Scott Arms and the 118 went to Walsall. We used to like our 'Red' buses and felt a little sad when they were eventually replaced with BCT buses.

We occasionally used the 118 from the Perry Avenue stop if we had missed the 51 or 52, preferred the Midland Red but more expensive than the Corporation. Also remember the occasional sausage bus, term we used in my early years before I started driving single deckers :) think these were the 108 but could be mistaken.

We occasionally used the 118 from the Perry Avenue stop if we had missed the 51 or 52, preferred the Midland Red but more expensive than the Corporation. Also remember the occasional sausage bus, term we used in my early years before I started driving single deckers :) think these were the 108 but could be mistaken.
Ok, I've tried to picture it in my head - What does a sausage bus look like ?
One other Midland Red bus number I remember from long ago was the 107 which went from Birmingham to Sutton Town via Perry Barr. At the age of 8 on a 107, I had an encounter with a ticket inspector somewhere near New Oscott - I had previously mentioned it in another thread here

Last edited:
Long red shiny single decker :)
Thanks for that.
In the early 1950s I used to catch Midland Red buses in Alma St below Six Ways. The BMMO seemed to be short of buses in those days and sometime we would see single deckers arrive that looked 1920s style, I even remember one with a bulb type horn. But occasionally they would hire vehicles from a coach firm, and black and yellow luxury coaches would roll up at the bus stop and we would rush to have a ride in one. I think the firm hiring out the coaches was called Manns.

I remember, as a kid in the 50s, seeing "Stratford Blue" buses passing the Maypole, on their way along the Alcester road to & from the city.
I can only think that Midland Red would've taken that run over.

Thanks for that.
In the early 1950s I used to catch Midland Red buses in Alma St below Six Ways. The BMMO seemed to be short of buses in those days and sometime we would see single deckers arrive that looked 1920s style, I even remember one with a bulb type horn. But occasionally they would hire vehicles from a coach firm, and black and yellow luxury coaches would roll up at the bus stop and we would rush to have a ride in one. I think the firm hiring out the coaches was called Manns.
Certainly sounds like Manns Superlux of Smethick ,thanks to google :) My Brother in law had his own coach company in Coleshill in the late sixties and early seventies but, like most of the smaller companies, found it too difficult and expensive to continue.

I am due to start scanning the following Birmingham Corporation Tramway & Omnibus Department the down side is that it has no date in the booklet but because of the title it may be possible date from the early 1950,s ? but I suspect that it may date from the 1930,s? the highest ticket price is 7d (old money) a child's fare is 1d any ideas about the date[/QUOTE]

The undertaking was known as Birmingham Corporation Tramways from 1904 until 1927 when the name was changed to Birmingham Corporation Tramways and Omnibus Department which was changed in November 1937 to Birmingham City Transport. Hope this helps to date your document.

The New Oscott route was 107 to Sutton, 109 to Boldmere via New Oscott or 113 various stops en route to Streetly

I remember, as a kid in the 50s, seeing "Stratford Blue" buses passing the Maypole, on their way along the Alcester road to & from the city.
I can only think that Midland Red would've taken that run over.

The Midland Red, like a lot of urban bus operators, had serious staffing problems after WW2 when factories with higher pay got into full production again.

Stratford Blue was a B&MMO subsidiary company and their buses and crews were hired to fill in the service gaps
. I believe there was a Stratford Blue every hour on route 150 - Birmingham - Stratford upon Avon. I remember seeing them and riding upon their buses for a change.

Yes I used to ride them to. There is a superb history of them that I have recently obtained. The amazing thing is that BMMO who my grandfather worked for did not change their livery or chassis/engines that they used.

The Midland Red, like a lot of urban bus operators, had serious staffing problems after WW2 when factories with higher pay got into full production again.

Stratford Blue was a B&MMO subsidiary company and their buses and crews were hired to fill in the service gaps
. I believe there was a Stratford Blue every hour on route 150 - Birmingham - Stratford upon Avon. I remember seeing them and riding upon their buses for a change.

Thanks for filling me in on that Alan

Back