• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham corporation bus clock in for drivers

That's very interesting information Matthew, it's amazing how recently the last clocks were still about! I am familiar with the nice West Bromwich one in the bus station there.

Nice to see you on the forum, your username caught my attention straight away. I am trying to restore former Quinton Garage Daimler Fleetline 4130 in ireland along with ex Sandy Lane, Coventry 6918.

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Simon

Good to here that 4130 and 6918 still exist and good luck with the restoration. I had many rides to and from school on 4130.

My username reflects my current restoration project, an ex Washwood Heath/Perry Barr Leyland Titan. I am also a co-owner and of the newly completed Quinton Guy Arab 2548 and also Fleetline 3436 and National 7052.

Matthew

Of the subject but have you seen this photo of your bus on the 11E route

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/8344568519/

and of this one of the bus in the snow?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/8344568883/

Hi Simon

Good to here that 4130 and 6918 still exist and good luck with the restoration. I had many rides to and from school on 4130.

My username reflects my current restoration project, an ex Washwood Heath/Perry Barr Leyland Titan. I am also a co-owner and of the newly completed Quinton Guy Arab 2548 and also Fleetline 3436 and National 7052.

Matthew

At the Crich Tram Museum they don't have any Birmingham trams but they do have Birmingham street furniture and I am sure that the Bundy clock is BCT

At the Crich Tram Museum they don't have any Birmingham trams but they do have Birmingham street furniture and I am sure that the Bundy clock is BCT

I remember my late father using the bundy clock at Court Lane, Erdington in the late 40's and early 50's. He was a conductor working out of Wellhead Lane depot. If the bus was due out at 08.04, the key punch a card in the bundy clock to confirm that the bus was leaving the terminus on time.

Very often the conductor punch the clock to save the driver getting out of the cab. As a youngster, I spent many hours travelling on dad's bus on the 5A, 7 and 33.

This Is a photos of the Bundy Clock at Court Lane next to a Fleetline https://www.flickr.com/photos/79249...DgL-f4mvG6-f4mzpr-f4AQ3s-dHttKy-dHtsrq-cTRLUf

This is a better shot https://www.flickr.com/photos/79249...DgL-f4mvG6-f4mzpr-f4AQ3s-dHttKy-dHtsrq-cTRLUf

I remember my late father using the bundy clock at Court Lane, Erdington in the late 40's and early 50's. He was a conductor working out of Wellhead Lane depot. If the bus was due out at 08.04, the key punch a card in the bundy clock to confirm that the bus was leaving the terminus on time.

Very often the conductor punch the clock to save the driver getting out of the cab. As a youngster, I spent many hours travelling on dad's bus on the 5A, 7 and 33.

Thanks Horsencart, the photos are brilliant and invite comparisons of the terminus in years gone by. The bus looks positively futuristic, as does the bus shelter, when I recall my time with Dad there, sharing a drop of tea from the lid of his tin billycan, I see a c1930s Daimler waiting to take me down Perry Common Road and drop me off on the corner of Capillano Road so that I could run home, I'd be about 9 at the time.

Hi

I remember the Bundy Clock on the outer circle route on
the River Cole bridge near Sarehole Mill. That was in the
1950's, and Sarehole Mill was derelict and overgrown then.

Kind regards

Dave

I realize this is a 2012 post by Dave 89 but I must have overlooked it before. I remember that clock as it was along the 29A route to Baldwins Lane. City boundary. I don't believe the 29A drivers used the clock only those on the 11 route. But I may be wrong.

Hi not sure how old this thread is but had to chip in here. My Dad was an Inspector at Lea Hall for many years and as a kid I used to stand at our local stop in Garrett's Green Lane and get him to stamp my hand with the clock stamp. I thought it was really cool

Hello Nora10, The Corporation bus thread is pretty ancient but we are always welcome to see additional info on pet subjects. Lea Hall depot was way out of my experience as my father worked from Wellhead Lane, Perry Barr. I assume that you are a good dealer younger than me but did you attend the Summer Outing to Billesley Park for the children of BCT Staff circa 1950?

My father worked at all BCT garages as a plumber. I believe the summer parties were held at the BCT Stadium in Billesley which I think is still there. I remember going to lots of them and the christmas parties at Perry Barr Garage. We also went on day trips sometimes using a single decker.

Hello Sheldontony, Yes I too remember the Christmas Show at Wellhead Lane and the singalong with songs like Rudolph the rednosed reindeer.
To get to Billesley, all areas were supplied with a bus with a large paper number stuck to the front passenger window so that we knew which bus to get for the ride back home. Billesley seemed a faraway place to a kid from Perry Common!

Same here, we lived in Sheldon so had to go to the Yew Tree and then number 11 to Billesley. I actually hated the pantomimes but made to go. Last time I remember going to the Stadium was early 80's when my father retired and held a party there.

Hi guys, i remember the pantomimes but didn't know where they were, my cousin used to come with me. We lived in Sheldon and the clock was on the corner of Garretts Green and Brinsley Road, opposite the Chestnuts pub. That wasn't my Dads route but he came home on that bus and Inspected it on his way home. I think he was the most feared Inspector on B.C.T. in his day lol They had a life size cut out of him at the entrance to Lea Hall, saying Are you turned out like this, or something like that. Im not sure when he started because he went in the Army, then came home and worked at Coventry Road for a while before the war then after the war came home and took up him former job till he retired on health grounds in about 1966

I must have travelled with your Dad on many an occasion. Does he remember Mr Wall, the inspector who used to live in Court Lane. I lived there 1936 to 1959 and after the war we enjoyed the new GOE Daimlers, the HOV Leylands (particularly 1749) and when they arrived the Crossleys. In Ian Allans ABC of Birmingham Buses, I am sitting upstairs in a Portland Road (route 7) at Victoria Square. The best days were on football days at Villa Park, when the older buses would be diverted to run football specials between the City and Witton. And in the period after the war, it could be anything from piano front AEC to one of Hockleys pre war Leylands. And of course the utility Guys and Daimlers....remember those wooden seats? There was one driver/conductor team who would let us clock for him. My aunt was a clippie out of Harborne during the war and granddad worked at the Carlisle Road works of Midland Red.

not sure how many are still dotted around on the pavements of brum but here is part of a bundy clock...pic taken today on the walsall road

lyn

Attachments

• various pics may 2016 001.JPG
    various pics may 2016 001.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 33
  • various pics may 2016 002.JPG
    various pics may 2016 002.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 30
  • various pics may 2016 003.JPG
    various pics may 2016 003.JPG
    581.1 KB · Views: 31
Amazed it's still there Lyn. Although maybe these were sunk into concrete or something similar? Maybe they're difficult to remove. Well spotted. Viv.

hi phil yes i would say its the same clock looks to be on the exact spot...thanks for the photo

lyn

Back