• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham College of Commerce c1961/1962

JudyTink

knowlegable brummie
I've just been reading about the paternoster lifts elsewhere on this forum, which I remember well from my time at the Birmingham College of Commerce when I was learning all about shorthand and typing. Does anyone from those days remember a revue arranged by one of the lecturers? We had to sing songs from several decades and, though I was very nervous, it was such fun. I may have some pics somewhere taken at the time.

The paternoster, or continuous elevator, is a passenger elevator with doorless cabins for two people. It does not make stops on separate floors; you have to enter and exit on the move, which is a slow-moving construction. I used to ride one of these between floors when I was on university excursions. I had to go to different states and countries when choosing a university. We visited education companies to choose the most promising university. Mine had such an elevator, but I was afraid to ride there. A couple of times was enough for me to understand how it works. I felt like I was on an amusement ride when it spun slowly, and people went in and out of the stalls without doors.

Last edited:
I've just been reading about the paternoster lifts elsewhere on this forum, which I remember well from my time at the Birmingham College of Commerce when I was learning all about shorthand and typing. Does anyone from those days remember a revue arranged by one of the lecturers? We had to sing songs from several decades and, though I was very nervous, it was such fun. I may have some pics somewhere taken at the time.
Which dates? I am researching the history of the college and of course remember the lifts. Any memories welcome.

The paternoster, or continuous elevator, is a passenger elevator with doorless cabins for two people. It does not make stops on separate floors; you have to enter and exit on the move, which is a slow-moving construction. I used to ride one of these between floors when I was on university excursions. I had to go to different states and countries when choosing a university. We visited education companies to choose the most promising university. Mine had such an elevator, but I was afraid to ride there. A couple of times was enough for me to understand how it works. I felt like I was on an amusement ride when it spun slowly, and people went in and out of the stalls without doors.
Actually there were are number of different versions of the paternoster elevator. While working at General Foods I visited a plant in Toronto. There were no cabins, you stood on a single platform and held on to a handle while you were elevated or descending and stepped of at the appropriate floor. This was in a plant environment, no frills!

Which dates? I am researching the history of the college and of course remember the lifts. Any memories welcome.
The dates of the Revue were 1961/1962 as are the photographs. I think the lecturer may have been a Mr. Boden who, I think, taught commerce and other subjects. Some names were Stella, Sandra, Jill.....?

The paternosters in the College of Commerce lasted well into the days of Birmingham Polytechnic renting the building - from Aston University. I studied English there 1977-80 and we used them everyday. I remember sometimes a lad would put a stink bomb or a firework in the car before jumping out. The old Commerce building is still there in Gosta Green but Aston University have constructed an external lift.

You can see some of the history of College of Commerce on the Birmingham City University history page. I think that almost all the paternosters from universities in the UK have been removed now. To my mind they were perfectly safe, provided students behaved! An exception is Sheffield's Arts building which has been refurbished and when I last used it was much faster than the ones in Birmingham.

Last edited:
Just found some film of Paternoster lits on You Tube

Excellent! All of the Paternoster type lifts I saw/used were in factories and were open. One in Toronto CA came through the floor and you went up from one side and down the other. I used them but did not like them.

I was at the College of Commerce 1965-1967, and enjoyed the hazardous paternoster. A classmate once performed a free blues 'concert' with his harmonica, riding up and down the building. Of course the "stupid trick" was to see how many [students] could pile into one cabin as it went past a floor. On the first day, we were all advised to stay calm if we missed the top and bottom floors, as the cabins DID NOT OVERTURN, I wonder when the paternoster was stopped and abandoned.

Thanks Judy. I was there at the same time as you but do not remember the revue. There were a lot of events held in the CAT including a notorious 'girl auction' which my three flat mates took part in. Never be allowed now

I was at the College of Commerce 1965-1967, and enjoyed the hazardous paternoster. A classmate once performed a free blues 'concert' with his harmonica, riding up and down the building. Of course the "stupid trick" was to see how many [students] could pile into one cabin as it went past a floor. On the first day, we were all advised to stay calm if we missed the top and bottom floors, as the cabins DID NOT OVERTURN, I wonder when the paternoster was stopped and abandoned.
I remember you. You were on the librarians' course i think with my two flat mates, Pat Hardy and Tessa Newport. Still in touch with Tess, and with Pat who sadly died last year. I was Rose Campbell on the English course

I remember you. You were on the librarians' course i think with my two flat mates, Pat Hardy and Tessa Newport. Still in touch with Tess, and with Pat who sadly died last year. I was Rose Campbell on the English course
Good grief, I never expect to be remembered, though now I remember both Tessa's and Pat's names. I was a very immature country kid, but luckily found soulmates among the anarchists! Grimy old Brum.

Back