• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Co-op Belmont Row

For those that don't know this Belmont Works building is part of a massive redevelopment of Eastside that has been going on for about 10 years.

This web site below gives a great overhead shot of how the area has been redeveloped.

If you go to the SECOND photo on the web site above you can look at the area in a "before and after" mode.

On that photo you can see a small white arrow, and you can drag this arrow across the photo to see it in before and after mode.

Drag it to the right and you get the "before" and drag it to the left and you get the "after".

Huge changes planned as you can see in the "after" photo.

Many of the buildings in the "after" shot have already been built, but some are yet to be built.

You can see the HS2 line (assuming they build it) coming in at the bottom of the photo, with the huge HS2 station up by the old Curzon St station and Moor St Station.

Yes Lyn, over the years I have watched this building fall apart, so it will be nice to see it restored

Yes Lyn, over the years I have watched this building fall apart, so it will be nice to see it restored

i agree mort...it does make a nice change to see a building being restored instead of demolished...just a pity that these happenings are very few and far between

lyn

Wow! Now that's really lifted my spirits this morning. As you say Lyn, it's nice to see something being restored. Usually 'someone' sets fire to something and the next thing we know it's beyond repair and has been demolished.

Very good news, especially as it was damaged by fire in 2014. Just shows that all is not sometimes lost. I suppose it’s just too easy (and costly) to think a building is so damaged it can’t be rescued Viv.

Got some photos of the Belmont Row Works with scaffolding after a walk around the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal and Digbeth Branch Canal (Gun Quarter to Eastside).

Some maps are saying where I got off was Penn Street and Gopsal Street. Another map shows Pitt Street instead of Penn Street.

Looks almost like a hopeless case. Thank goodness it’s being worked on now and not left to fall down. Look forward to seeing new life brought to it. Viv.

I thought it would never happen after the last decade of inactivity there. The other Eastside Locks plots need building on as well.

Wow, don’t think I’ve ever seen so much scaffolding around one building. Must be, literally, holding it up. Viv.

As it was such a lovely sunny day today (Thursday 20th August 2020) I decided to go up to Birmingham for the first time in months.

Here are some photos of the Belmont Row factory.

This development is called SteamHouse 2 and is a Birmingham City University project. It will be home for the University's School of Computing as well as a base for SMEs (Small and Medium Sized Enterprizes) who work in the digital arena.

Photo 1 below shows the side of the building taken from Belmont Row. You can see the older building on the left and the newer part on the right.

IMG_4527.JPG

Photo 2 below still shows the side of the building but concentrating on the older part of the building

IMG_4525.JPG

Photo 3 below, as I move round from Belmont Row in to Gopsal Street you get his view.

IMG_4532.JPG

Photo 4 below, still in Gopsal Street but now zoomed in on the front of the old building.

IMG_4534.JPG

Photo 5 below, I have now moved round to Cardigan Street and am now facing the building.

As you can see clearly here, layers and layers of scaffolding, but as it is just a shell of a building I guess they cant be too careful.

IMG_4543.JPG

Last edited:
This site was originally Co-Op furniture factory, but at a later date it was used in the production of Scales under the name Co-operative Wholesale Society, hence CWS. There were loads of scales that never made it out of the place still down in the basement.
The tower which is described in the above article was never used as a chimney, it was a water tower with a huge cast iron water tank at the top, similar to most building of the period. There were/are stair on the inside which climb part way up, then an external ladder to the top!
...Hugin Ka45.jpgHouses009.jpg
Just found your post re. Coop Belmont Row. During 60's 70' I was working as a service engineer for a cash register company named 'Cash Machines Ltd' who distributed 'HUGIN' cash registers mainly to Cooperative Societies around the UK. We were based previously along with CWS scales at the CWS cycle factory in Kings Road Haymills. Along with the the scales dept. we moved to Belmont Row to take advantage of the much larger premises. Also the office and admin staff of the CWS cycle moved to the same premise. The B/w photo is my own creation taken in 1957, the cash register pic is of one of our products but the photo is not mine and I could not find the originator so can't give credit.

Amazing transformation from what was virtually a shell. From earlier images it looks like only the front of the building was left after the fire. Nice work to part rebuild/maintain the decorative frontage. Viv.

It does look good. Phil (now no longer with us) always said that for a reasonably well built building that posed no problem, other than a reluctance to spend more money . It is a pity that more people are not prepared to spend a little more to save our heritage.. there is an extra cost, but the reults would be a much longer life than the plasterboard and glass shacks being erected elesewhere.

The building was indeed a CWS factory originally,then Hugin cash registers used it and I'm not sure who rented it after that, but ultimately the C.W.S. obviously sold it off. Now behind this building and alongside the canal was the old Birmingham Co-ops bakery, together with stables for the horse drawn vehicles. When I worked for B.C.S in the 1960s the bakery had long been moved to Stechford and the old Bakery or Chateau Belmont as it was known to us was used as a Non Food warehouse, and for business purposes it was called Great Brook St Warehouse, housing Furniture, bedding, Carpets, Toys, and Hardware & Gardening merchandise, it was from here that they serviced the local branches and the city centre department store and also delivered to customers addresses. When you entered the building you literally stepped back in time to the 1930s / 40s, the walls were still tiled in brown glazed tiles on the lower half and white on the upper half, you could see where the ovens once were in the walls by the shape of the bricking up to fill in where they had been, the upper wooden floors still had flour in the joins between the masive floor boards, and as a consequence of this the flour bugs still lived on, so much so that when mattresses for beds were sent out the polythene had to be nicked and the mattress banged to make the bugs fall to the bottom of the packet and let them out before the customer took delivery. (They were harmless by the way) The Manager of the building during my time was a person named Ray Weaving, a large jolly sort of chap, one of his catchphrases was if he thought some thing was poorly done, he'd say "look, it's PATHETICAL".The Co-op fleet of vans were kept there and in those days they delivered all over Birmingham and the outlying districts like Bromsgrove etc. Ron Gibson was the Despatch Forman, I can't remember the Despatch Managers name, Ron was excellent if you wanted anything done quickly and delivered to a customer in double quick time. The Forman that was in charge of the Hardware & Gardening was named Stan Simmonds, another of lifes characters (something you don't see much of today), he said to me once "have you heard of the O.B. from Great Barr" so obviously I was curious as to what he was on about, and this is the story he told me. "Firstly I live in Great Barr" he said "and when the wife sends for the chimmney sweep, he comes along and gives our chimmney a good sweeping, when he is finished the wife then asks him into the kitchen and gives him a big slice of home made cake and a cup or two of tea, whilst drinking his tea he would get his customers book out and start writing in it, the wife couldn't help but notice on the top of some of the pages he had written in large letters OB, and being curious she asked him what it meant, and this is what he told her, "OB means OLD BRUSH, and this is for customers who can't wait to get me out of the house in 2 seconds flat without the offer of even a cup of tea, so next time I go I use an old brush so that it doesn't clean the chimmney so effectively and they have to send for me before people like youselves who always treat me kindly, so they end up paying twice for the same service, for you it is a new brush so you get the top class job done" At the warehouse there were times when the flood water drains would back up and when Stan and the staff arrived for work in the morning and it had been torrential rain overnight the ground floor was under 2 or 3 inches of water, he would phone me and say "don't get ringing for anything for the next hour while we bail this lot out, and if you see Floxham -Kidd (Mr F. Loxham-Kidd Personnel Manager) tell him Ideal conditions for the workers, I don't think so !!!". They finally cured the flooding problem by putting a non return valve in the pipe of the flood drains halfway down the yard. The Birmingham Co-Op wouldn't never spend any money on the place because initially it came under the responsibility of the Furnishing Manager (Keith Seymour in my day) and he didn't want the expense to impact on his departmental trading results, (everything down to a price not up to a standard) He couldn't get away with it today with all this health and safety malarky but that's another story. Right up untill the end you could see the old derelict stables still in the yard where the horses were kept for pulling the bakery wagons in the old days.
Regards Chris B
I worked as a dilivery driver from 71 to 86 I remember ray weaving and Ron Gibson and stan also Ron Gibson write hand man was Barry hall from great Barr , and Brian bowsfield ,also some of the dillivery drivers were harry Jerome’s Barry Parker Eric elvins and Paul fouks ,happy days

The building was indeed a CWS factory originally,then Hugin cash registers used it and I'm not sure who rented it after that, but ultimately the C.W.S. obviously sold it off. Now behind this building and alongside the canal was the old Birmingham Co-ops bakery, together with stables for the horse drawn vehicles. When I worked for B.C.S in the 1960s the bakery had long been moved to Stechford and the old Bakery or Chateau Belmont as it was known to us was used as a Non Food warehouse, and for business purposes it was called Great Brook St Warehouse, housing Furniture, bedding, Carpets, Toys, and Hardware & Gardening merchandise, it was from here that they serviced the local branches and the city centre department store and also delivered to customers addresses. When you entered the building you literally stepped back in time to the 1930s / 40s, the walls were still tiled in brown glazed tiles on the lower half and white on the upper half, you could see where the ovens once were in the walls by the shape of the bricking up to fill in where they had been, the upper wooden floors still had flour in the joins between the masive floor boards, and as a consequence of this the flour bugs still lived on, so much so that when mattresses for beds were sent out the polythene had to be nicked and the mattress banged to make the bugs fall to the bottom of the packet and let them out before the customer took delivery. (They were harmless by the way) The Manager of the building during my time was a person named Ray Weaving, a large jolly sort of chap, one of his catchphrases was if he thought some thing was poorly done, he'd say "look, it's PATHETICAL".The Co-op fleet of vans were kept there and in those days they delivered all over Birmingham and the outlying districts like Bromsgrove etc. Ron Gibson was the Despatch Forman, I can't remember the Despatch Managers name, Ron was excellent if you wanted anything done quickly and delivered to a customer in double quick time. The Forman that was in charge of the Hardware & Gardening was named Stan Simmonds, another of lifes characters (something you don't see much of today), he said to me once "have you heard of the O.B. from Great Barr" so obviously I was curious as to what he was on about, and this is the story he told me. "Firstly I live in Great Barr" he said "and when the wife sends for the chimmney sweep, he comes along and gives our chimmney a good sweeping, when he is finished the wife then asks him into the kitchen and gives him a big slice of home made cake and a cup or two of tea, whilst drinking his tea he would get his customers book out and start writing in it, the wife couldn't help but notice on the top of some of the pages he had written in large letters OB, and being curious she asked him what it meant, and this is what he told her, "OB means OLD BRUSH, and this is for customers who can't wait to get me out of the house in 2 seconds flat without the offer of even a cup of tea, so next time I go I use an old brush so that it doesn't clean the chimmney so effectively and they have to send for me before people like youselves who always treat me kindly, so they end up paying twice for the same service, for you it is a new brush so you get the top class job done" At the warehouse there were times when the flood water drains would back up and when Stan and the staff arrived for work in the morning and it had been torrential rain overnight the ground floor was under 2 or 3 inches of water, he would phone me and say "don't get ringing for anything for the next hour while we bail this lot out, and if you see Floxham -Kidd (Mr F. Loxham-Kidd Personnel Manager) tell him Ideal conditions for the workers, I don't think so !!!". They finally cured the flooding problem by putting a non return valve in the pipe of the flood drains halfway down the yard. The Birmingham Co-Op wouldn't never spend any money on the place because initially it came under the responsibility of the Furnishing Manager (Keith Seymour in my day) and he didn't want the expense to impact on his departmental trading results, (everything down to a price not up to a standard) He couldn't get away with it today with all this health and safety malarky but that's another story. Right up untill the end you could see the old derelict stables still in the yard where the horses were kept for pulling the bakery wagons in the old days.
Regards Chris B

What a
fantastic story - I used to work for the coop back in the early 80,s so this is close to my heart , I love hearing actual workplace stories from days gone by , it fascinates me, I worked for a while at the start of my butchery apprenticeship at Albert street...happy days ...keep the stories coming !!

Back