• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Civilians Killed-Bombings WW2 List Available

Hi Ann Marie: My husbands Aunt Delia Clifford Nee Cunningham and her husband Dennis was also killed are they related? any information would be appreciated. The family did not remain in contact. Kind regards Peggy

hi peggy and welcome to the forum...you most likely have this info but just in case you dont..delia clifford aged 19 and dennis clifford aged 22 both died in the shelter on the corner of villa road and barker st...many more also died in the same air raid...

lyn

According to CWGC Dennis and his brother John Peter were sons of Patrick and Nora of Dublin, so probably of Irish stock.

Where as it looks as if Leah's father William Thomas was born in Aston in 1892.

So probably not related.

Hi I have started researching my family tree and found Leah was my aunt (dad's sister).

For those who are interested BARRA will have a display stall at Key Hill Cemetery open day on Saturday.

There are a few links to the list that do not work, if someone can send me a copy then I will add to the IWM WMR.

I will also turn the images through 90 degrees.

My father mentioned himself coming home on leave and was just leaving New St station when a plane flew low and machine gunned the area just missing him. Is there an official record of this happening or was dad confusing it with somewhere else?

Last edited:
We Will Always Remember ,, Them :)

I have the Full Listing of 2.241 people killed in the Birmingham Bombings of WW2

Name & Age as depicted on The Tree of Life Statue erected near St Martins Church in The Bullring

If Anyone requires a "Look-up", please feel free to ask,,  No problem ,,Cheers John Y O0
We Will Always Remember ,, Them :)

I have the Full Listing of 2.241 people killed in the Birmingham Bombings of WW2

Name & Age as depicted on The Tree of Life Statue erected near St Martins Church in The Bullring

If Anyone requires a "Look-up", please feel free to ask,,  No problem ,,Cheers John Y O0
Hi I belive my auntie is on the list can you let me no her name was qwendolin parr thankx

hi kerry yes gwenoline parr is listed..she died aged 18 her name will be on the "tree of life" memorial in birmingham city centre which honours all those civilians who died...she died at the BSA factory in small heath

lyn

hi kerry yes gwenoline parr is listed..she died aged 18 her name will be on the "tree of life" memorial in birmingham city centre which honours all those civilians who died...she died at the BSA factory in small heath

lyn
Thank you so much was she the only parr on the list

So very glad that these poor souls are remembered, and still thought about even today, in retrospect they were the real tragedies of warfare, non combatant, hero's and heroin's, and especially the kids, though they would never have thought them self's as such, I have never visited, this very special memorial, but on my next visit to Brum, will make a point of doing so, and laying a flower or two. Paul

Hi, i am trying to find info' on my Great Uncle Henry Smith. He was born in Sheffield in 1901 and i know he was in Birmingham in 1939. He is on the 1939 register as living at 125 Waverley Road. He was a gun barrel "setter".
Family legend has it that he moved to Birmingham and died in the blitz . I suspect he may have worked at BSA and may have been one of the 53 casualties or Waverley road may have been bombed! I have tried the links to the lists of names of the casualties ,but i seem to just go round in circles. Any help will be much appreciated. Sheila.

There doesn't appear to be a likely Henry Smith listed under civilian war dead on the CWGC site.

I see that dob is listed as 16 June 1901 on 1939 register and there is a death for a Henry Smith with that dob registered in Sedgemoor in 1977.

There doesn't appear to be any other Henry Smiths listed on the 1939 register with that dob but there are lots of reasons why there might not be and as we know Smith is way too common to be sure of much.

Thankyou for your quick reply, thought it may be that because they hadn't heard anything about him or from him that that is what could have happened to him. I couldn't find how to access the civilian war dead on the CWGC site.
You're not kidding when it comes to the Smith name. The Sedgmoor death looks promising, i will have a look at that ,ihad searched through the Birmingham deaths but not one had a DOB ,so i was scuppered there. Thanks again Sheila

Thankyou lyn for your email, i am glad and sad that i haven't found him yet. Smith is a terrible name to have to find and yet i have had just as much trouble finding info' on less common names. My g.grandmother can't make her mind up as to whether she was born in Sheffield or Birmingham and don't ask about her age ,as that varies. Such is life in genealogy. regards Sheila.

Thankyou for your quick reply, thought it may be that because they hadn't heard anything about him or from him that that is what could have happened to him. I couldn't find how to access the civilian war dead on the CWGC site.

To search for civilian war dead on the CWGC site you simply select "Civilian War Dead 1939 - 1945" from the "Served in (army etc.)" drop down list. Bottom right on the Find War Dead page.

And if you want any help searching for your g grandmother's birth, post some details and I'm sure someone will have a look for you.

Thankyou lyn for your email, i am glad and sad that i haven't found him yet. Smith is a terrible name to have to find and yet i have had just as much trouble finding info' on less common names. My g.grandmother can't make her mind up as to whether she was born in Sheffield or Birmingham and don't ask about her age ,as that varies. Such is life in genealogy. regards Sheila.

Try asking on the ROOTSCHAT forum (you will need to register). Some of the people there like a good puzzle to get their teeth into!

There is a lot of information now available in the online newspaper archives.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but Ancestry have free access to their wartime records this week, as they usually do around Remembrance Day.

He seems to be listed on the 1939 eroll as Harry smith - have you tried searchng for a Harry?
1636457536962.png

Back