• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Civic Society

artdeco-brummie

Brummie babby
Having recently joined the Civic Society I attended Thursday 8th Decembers discussion of Birminghams public art past,present and future.
I'd like to throw open this wide ranging topic to BHF,in particular what examples of public art do members think are successful and which
they see as blots on the landscape!

Welcome tothe forum art-deco brummie.
This will be a much debated thread I'm sure,as there are so many different opinions, wouldn't do if we were all the same though.
I'll start with the War Memorial plaque by the markets, I think this is great, well designed and a fitting piece of art for us all to pay respect to the people who lost their lives, appropriate at this time of year too.
Sue

Welcome tothe forum art-deco brummie.
This will be a much debated thread I'm sure,as there are so many different opinions, wouldn't do if we were all the same though.
I'll start with the War Memorial plaque by the markets, I think this is great, well designed and a fitting piece of art for us all to pay respect to the people who lost their lives, appropriate at this time of year too.
Sue

i agree sue i also like this memorial to the civilians who lost their lives during WW2..i have 2 rellies names on it...

citycentre002.jpg

I agree its a very moving sculpture,can't quite see Lord Nelson in the background. I can't pass Nelson without thinking of all the Trafalgar days I played there with my school brass band.That was in the late 70's when he was in his previous location just along from what I always think of as "doughnut corner"! You remember that?

My favourite is the 3 figure group of Boulton, Watt and Murdoch (think I preferred it before it was re-gilted), the one I dislike most is the Iron Man, I much prefer traditional Art to Modern Art, hence not over keen on the Tony Hancock work of Art (?) although was a great fan of Hancock. Eric

Art-deco,yes I remember "do-nut corner" lol and Nelson in his previous location, sounds like we are the same era, I also recall schools playing on Trafalgar day, our music group came to watch one year - being in Tamworth, we weren't includedto perform, we were very jealous, that would probably have 76/77 as i finished in 77 to go to college.
Sue

Birmingham Civic Society signs on Temple Row West near the Cathedral for their 100th anniversary last year.

Back