• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Traways Sleepers in Dalle End

A trifle confusing. The red steel objects look more like tram rails and not the stretchers that held them apart. I believe the rusty pic maybe of a stretcher. Maybe they used rail as supports of track in heavily used areas such as Dale End. Interesting pic nonetheless.

Birmingham City Tramways used tram track as Sleepers throughout the system, The Sleepers have been painted Red by the people who put the trench in Dale End to highlight where the track is so that it can be seen

A trifle confusing. The red steel objects look more like tram rails and not the stretchers that held them apart. I believe the rusty pic maybe of a stretcher. Maybe they used rail as supports of track in heavily used areas such as Dale End. Interesting pic nonetheless.

As horsencart says, old worn out track was cut into short lengths and laid across the streets as a support for running rails, Interestingly 'sleepers' like this have been found in Broad Street, although no tram track was ever laid there - perhaps they were thinking about doing so, though?

Back