• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Transport memorial

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Birmingham City Transport memorial at the Sports and Social Club Wheelers Lane Kings Heath.

Lists over 400 members of staff who lost their lives during WW1 and WW2.
I have high res photos of all the panels available,anyone who would like a name checking please ask.

Colin

Attachments

• BCT war memorial 001.jpg
    BCT war memorial 001.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 31
  • BCT war memorial 003.jpg
    BCT war memorial 003.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Colin,

Can you tell me if John Joseph Duignan is named on that memorial please. He was a conductor prior to 1914 and was killed in France in 1917.

JJ Duignan was enlisted into the Royal Berkshire Regiment initially joining thr 3rd Battalion and then being posted to the 5th Battalion. I have no idea if regiments are isted on the memorial.

Alan/Johnrobert
Alan
There are no regiments listed against the names. The panels are set out in Depots Hockley Depot, Highgate Road Depot etc.

JohnRobert
I have checked the names on the memorial panels but am unable to find John Joseph Duignan. There are 235 WW1 names on the memorial + WW2 & WW2 Civilians. Well worth a look if you are in the area.

Also named on this memorial is Thomas Henry Rafferty 7840 L/Cpl 1st Royal Warwichshire Regiment from Handsworth Birmingham. It is beleived that Thomas is the model for Bruce Bairnsfather's cartoon 'Old Bill'

Alan/Johnrobert
Alan
There are no regiments listed against the names. The panels are set out in Depots Hockley Depot, Highgate Road Depot etc.

JohnRobert
I have checked the names on the memorial panels but am unable to find John Joseph Duignan. There are 235 WW1 names on the memorial + WW2 & WW2 Civilians. Well worth a look if you are in the area.

Also named on this memorial is Thomas Henry Rafferty 7840 L/Cpl 1st Royal Warwichshire Regiment from Handsworth Birmingham. It is beleived that Thomas is the model for Bruce Bairnsfather's cartoon 'Old Bill'

I am researching the memorial for National Express with the aim of producing a booklet. Got the girls at Swanshurst to help. We have found most names using CWGC and Hall of Memory book.

Hi Historynut

Where is the National Express war memorial or is this the Wheeler's Lane memorial!!! would be interested in obtaining a copy of the booklet when it is completed.

Tony

Hi Historynut

Where is the National Express war memorial or is this the Wheeler's Lane memorial!!! would be interested in obtaining a copy of the booklet when it is completed.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Yes it's the same one as National Express now own the site. We are producing a small booklet to be sold either for the British Legion or Help For Heroes and they are goihng to make a donation to Muscular Dystrophy for my time. Great fun!
Best wishes,
Doug

I spent a lot of my childhood at the Transport Sports ground in Wheelers Lane, my father worked as a maintenance plumber in the bus garages.

DSCF4015.jpgHi Tony,
What is also strange is that when they asked me to do this they didn't know my father worked on the buses during the Second World War. This is the second part of the memorial with the C T Gilbert reference I mentioned to Patrick
Best wishes,
Doug

Are you aware of a small booklet called Birmingham City Transport Home Guard 31st & 32nd Warwickshire Battalions it is a "Record of The Birmingham City Transport Home Guard May,1940--Dec, 1944" it may be of use to you (or not) if you need a scan of it let me know

I am researching the memorial for National Express with the aim of producing a booklet. Got the girls at Swanshurst to help. We have found most names using CWGC and Hall of Memory book.

Dear Horesencart,
That is so kind of you! I do have a copy of it but am very grateful for the offer. I'll put a post on when the book is finished. There is a possibility that the may be a second book next year commemorating those who died in the SWW and I will use the book then.
Best wishes,
Doug

Collin Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Rafferty ,(Old Bill) was my Great Uncle I released information to the media in 1992 and Old Bill had been identified after 77 years in that Ole I have been researching his life over the years and are interested in the names on the memorial and would like to obtain these names and ranks of those who served and died alongside Rafferty that served with the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment also the location of the monument to visit as I live in Lancershire, it is many years since I studied War Studies at Birmingham Universiity [email protected]

John will send you photos later today when I'm back home with computer

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collin Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Rafferty ,(Old Bill) was my Great Uncle I released information to the media in 1992 and Old Bill had been identified after 77 years in that Ole I have been researching his life over the years and are interested in the names on the memorial and would like to obtain these names and ranks of those who served and died alongside Rafferty that served with the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment also the location of the monument to visit as I live in Lancershire, it is many years since I studied War Studies at Birmingham Universiity [email protected]
Hi john,
Tom Rafferty is on the Transport Ground War Memorial and I can list the men who served with him who are also on that Memorial. It is situated in Billesley Birmingham at b13 0TW. I have written a small book about the war memorial and it is to be published in the next few weeks.
Best wishes,
Doug [email protected]

Hi John,
The names for the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment:
Private Arthur Taylor 13th October 1914
Private Robert Neal 27th October 1914
Private Henry Brice 3rd November 1914
Lance Corporal Thomas Spencer 3rd November 1914
Private George John Beale
Private George Gilbert 11th February 1915
Private Thomas Lewis 25th April 1915
Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Rafferty 25th April 1915
Private Arthur Phillips 25th April 1915
Private Bertram Walker 25th April 1915
Private Frank Hastings 29th October 1915
Private James Henry Edwards 23rd October 1916
Private Peter Smith 12th November 1916
Private John Baker 20th 1917
Private Robert Francis Merrick 20th July 1918
Sergeant Percy George Weekes 30th August 1918

Hi Johnpimm1
How wonderful to have Old Bill as a relative. In addition to being remembered on the Birmingham City Transport Memorial he is also remembered on the Church of God (Seventh Day) War Memorial Grove Lane Handsworth Birmingham.

Regards

Tony

It would be good if someone would be willing to transcribe all of these names, including those of WW2, and post them here. They would then become googleable for family history researchers everywhere - and the men should be remembered, anyway.

Chris

Back