• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Transport Fares, Stages and Regulations 28, Jan,1964

Thanks for posting these schedules horsencart. I didn't see any for Outer Circle 11. I used to have an awful time with the fare stages, meaning
I would get caught for over riding on my ticket from time to time. Because of this I tried to pay my fare within the appropriate stages. I seem to remember that the old bus stops were flagged with a "Stage" sign on the top years ago. This indicted a stop whereby if you went further to the next stop you had to pay more. We lived at the top of Woolmore Road in Erdington and on rainy winter nights it was horrible walking up that very steep hill. The next stop on the 11 route was Bleak Hill Road, a much flatter approach to Hidson Road, via Hesketh Crescent. However, that was an extra fare as Marsh Hill Junior school, the stop before Bleak Hill Rd, was a stage marked stop. Very often I would ride on up Marsh Hill to Bleak Hill Road knowing I had not paid enough fare. Some conductors didn't say anything but some did and I was nabbed.

I definitely remember that the No.5 from Town had a fare stage at Moor Lane and if you went up to The Ridgeway stop at the top of the hill by Witton Cemetery, you were supposed to pay more. The No 5 stop had no shelter and was in a very lonely, smelly place. The Dustcart Depot was close by. I spent many an age on a cold wet winter night standing there waiting for the No. 11 to take me to Marsh Hill J.School. Does anyone else remember the Fare stages in this regard.

Hi Jennyann,

In addition to road 11, Outer Circle, not included neither is road 8, Inner Circle, to be found. Interestingly the less used 19 City Circle is there.

What I find interesting in the lists is the route the buses too to reach their destinations: not always are the road named easily remembered.

The plan is to publish other stuff, as you may appreciate it does take time to scan the various booklets

Hi Jennyann,

In addition to road 11, Outer Circle, not included neither is road 8, Inner Circle, to be found. Interestingly the less used 19 City Circle is there.

What I find interesting in the lists is the route the buses too to reach their destinations: not always are the road named easily remembered.

Hi horsencart: No problem re other schedules. I was just curious. Thanks for scanning and posting these.

Back