• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

I probably knew your Dad Pagan, I was at Kenyon Street and Thornhill Road from 1965 to 1974. I was a C division Dog handler eventually. Then PC C278

John Walker

I was on the mounted at the same time as Ken Fisher l could tell you some tales about what he used to do to the Isp.'s tea
I recall a PC Fisher on the 'Donkeys' at Thornhill Road (1970s). His brother, John Fisher, one of the few officers to earn two merit stripes, (Inverted chevrons on the right sleeve-cuff) For commended conduct! John was one of my section Sergeants at Kenyon Street. I bought a Ford 100E Anglia off John which served me well for 12 years! Last saw him at Aldridge Station when he was on the Firearms Squad as an Inspector. I have been retired since 1990 myself. Was PS 9278 John Walker. Still living in the Great Barr area of West Mids.

Hi Blake
Did you ever know Lou brown c division covering thorn hill road and key on street lady wood or Keith cotterill from duke street
He started is carrier at cantubiry red Aston where he met is wife whom is still a serving officer and now based at queens red Keith retired many years ago
Keith was a special car driver for the force involving the big crimms of the day and the gangs of test years whom you would be aware of the big time gangs
I presume you would know what I am speaking about best wishes astonian
So many of us knew Lou Brown! At Dudley Road. I can picture him now, Wow! Was it really all those years ago.I was 27 at the most! In the late 60s then. Along with Dave Munro, DC and Fred Mills PC! And dear old Ted Hayes C114. Vintage years. The last of the best of the service!
John (C278)

my dad was Walsall Met then joined Birmingham City, he retired from WMP in 1985, he is Laurence Hogg. He met my mom at Digbeth Station where she was a WPC and they married in 1960, she is Rita Hogg nee Bennett, both now in their mid 70's. My Godfather was Ron Kimberley and godmother is Pat Gould - anyone remember there names?
I remember your Dad very well and Pat Gould. Knew her well. She spent some time on the Cheque Squad. Please remember me to her next time you speak. Thanks

Last edited:
:joy: Ackerman, the 'C' Division's ventriloquist! :joy: So many stories.

Anyone recall the stories of Frank Hands, too!

Roger Baker. I finished my service at Aldridge, which was under the control of Walsall, Green Lane.

John

Hi l served on the mounted with Ken Fisher he was a character and a practical joker he was stationed at Duke St.
Joe..
I imagine you would remember Desmond (Edwards or Knight?) A memory lapse here! Spent virtually all his service on the Mounted Section. He was in my recruitment at Ryton in '65. As I remember he was a Ch/Insp. at the end.

John

Did you know my dad at Thornhill Road between 1965_1981 Ted Schuck PS C 3?
Yes I did know Ted. Everyone did; quite well. He didn't need a radio did he? His stentorian tones used to shake the foundations. I also knew his son, (might be yourself of course) but can't recall his given name. My wife also knew of Ted, as he was a regular at the DH in Loveday Street.

John

I just recalled a 'Ghost' story relating to Key Hill Passage, and Heaton Street on the Kenyon patch. Trouble is it happened to me, and I still don't know if somehow I'd fallen asleep in an entry! Although I would never have done such a thing!
John

can anyone remember the tale of the thornhill road white rabbit??

Wasn't the White Rabbit 'incident' not at Quinton? I seem to remember that there was an 'urgency' to replace an internal door at Quinton after a defendant, in Crown Court, alleged that he had only confessed because he had been made to stand in front of a door and had knives thrown at him.

As if!;)

I heard about the door, but thought it was at Dudley Road, where a door from Harborne was allegedly swapped! Probably the same idiot who claimed he was tied to a railway line in Winson Green and left?

The ventriloquist tale had more substance; Ackerman was pretty talented as a comic. He convinced a visiting Chief Inspector from up North that we had 'radio-pens' for use on stake-outs, by doing an impromptu vent act with his Parker pen! !

Just one more reminisce.. Who recalls the Sturdy brothers, Bob and Jim?

John

Last edited:
The ventriloquist tale had more substance; Ackerman was pretty talented as a comic. He convinced a visiting Chief Inspector from up North that we had 'radio-pens' for use on stake-outs, by doing an impromptu vent act with his Parker pen! !

Just one more reminisce.. Who recalls the Sturdy brothers, Bob and Jim?

John
Bob has very recently passed away. Not sure re Jim. he last time I spoke with Bob i seem to recall him saying that Jim was suffering with Dementia

Thank you Roger. They don't send us payslips any more, so we don't get news of ex-colleagues who have crossed the bar. I did get wind of this through the N.A.R.P.O magazine, but too late to attend a funeral. I was at Erdington whilst Bob was there in the eighties. Jim was on the C division when I last saw him. Sad to hear about this accursed Dementia; my wife has it too, and is in care, so I know of what I speak.

Yes I did know Ted. Everyone did; quite well. He didn't need a radio did he? His stentorian tones used to shake the foundations. I also knew his son, (might be yourself of course) but can't recall his given name. My wife also knew of Ted, as he was a regular at the DH in Loveday Street.

John
Thanks for the response! No he didn’t need a radio God Bless Him. Yes I am his son and was in the job 1972_2005. My son was wise enough to choose a different career! Where did you work with my dad?

Trying to locate an old schoolmate, Hamish Bradley, who was in the BCP and/or WMP.
My brother was also in the forces, Sgt Martin Hughes - C303, and was at the lock-up when he retired.

Bob

I have now located him.

Last edited:
I just recalled a 'Ghost' story relating to Key Hill Passage, and Heaton Street on the Kenyon patch. Trouble is it happened to me, and I still don't know if somehow I'd fallen asleep in an entry! Although I would never have done such a thing!
John

Come on John please 'spill the beans' on this particular matter!?! I'd LOVE to hear more on the subject....!?!

Can anyone remember a Detective Rogers in the 40s and 50s . Bit of a lad, I believe, and I think he left the force in the 60s

My Brother in law was a bobby at Dudley Road quite a character or so I am told, loved his job. I wonder if anyone remembers John Butler.

Back