• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Hi James, I worked with your father on Traffic about 1963, he was known as Ken, lovely chap with a good sense of humour. Mind you in those days you had to have a sense of humour other-wise you wouldn't survive. Others around at the time were Leo Harris, Ken Fisher (the white boot man). The Vicar -Stan Green, Bullet 'R'. 303. I will explain the 'White boot man' If anyone visited Duke Street Garage and stood talking for more than a minute. They would leave with white painted boots. Your mom and dad lived at the back of the Odeon Perry Barr. As mentioned previously he died whilst pushing a car. A tragic loss.
George Thursfield.
Hi George
My dad was John Adams bullet R303 he was on the bikes at Duke Street .I remember going to see the horses..Sadly dad died in 1986 aged 52(heart attack) and my mum (Jo) died last year 2013.
people I remember are Leo Harris, Ken Fisher, Harry Bennett Lou (forgot his surname), Chigley (don't know real name), Chin, I think his name was graham and the late lovely, Rodney Ashton and Bob George.

Dad went to Lloyd House on the accident investigation unit where he teamed up with Johnny Bristow and some years later after retiring from the police, they set up accident investigation services.
fond memories.

All the best
Dawn

Hi George
Would you happen to know of another police bike rider at duke street he was Keith Cotterell. Whom was there for years
He later moved into the special car on the force before retiring Keith is a very good old friend of mine and we see each other often
His wife was a serving police officer there as well and that's where they met and later got married she works at queens rd. Now
They are a great couple we often discuss certain things of the old gangsters of the old days and especially. Of summer lane
And Aston and the city centre there are names I can recall as well. Best wishes Astonian'',,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a friend of mine Martin Green who joined Birmingham City Police in 1959 after service in the Coldstream Guards. I know its a long shot but I would really like to meet him again before I depart this world. Any information would be appreciated. aggie

My father was Sergeant Eric Hayward who must have joined up around 1952. I know he was stationed at Acocks Green, Sheldon, Bradford Street, to name a few. Officers I remember from my childhood are: David Speake, "Beefy" Eric Turner, Ken Fisher, Dicky DeBoo, Dave Sadler (dog handler) amongst others. Dad still alive and well at 86 years old having survived a heart attack at 52. Still see Dave Sadler on a regular basis. Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers my dad or anybody else I have mentioned.

Hi Dendy,

I joined in 1952 but of the stations you mention I only served at Bradford Street. I am sorry but I cannot remember your dad but my memory is very bad these days. Your Dad obviously served on E Division which I did not. I do remember Dave Speake, Dickie Deboo and Dave Sadler. Glad that your Dad is alive and well.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

I worked at Duke Street with the mounted branch as a cadet. Kenny Fisher and Dick Cheetham come to mind and Fish was a real character. I forget the name of the Chief Inspector in charge, he was a bit crusty but was nice to me. I went on to serve at Digbeth and lived there in single men's . I was A293 until I left for Canada in 1966. I remember Malcolm Adama was A292.

I think the CI could have been Mackenzie. A Scot. When he retired he became the licensee of Thew Brittania Proctor Street Nechells.

I see Leo at the reunions, I know the name Ken Fisher, I think he used to be on the donkeys and I've heard of 'Bullet' and many tales from the Duke Street days off my dad and my old colleagues from the mounted dept, happy days....
I was on the mounted at the same time as Ken Fisher l could tell you some tales about what he used to do to the Isp.'s tea

My father was Sergeant Eric Hayward who must have joined up around 1952. I know he was stationed at Acocks Green, Sheldon, Bradford Street, to name a few. Officers I remember from my childhood are: David Speake, "Beefy" Eric Turner, Ken Fisher, Dicky DeBoo, Dave Sadler (dog handler) amongst others. Dad still alive and well at 86 years old having survived a heart attack at 52. Still see Dave Sadler on a regular basis. Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers my dad or anybody else I have mentioned.
I live in Canada. From 1959 to 1964 I was in the E Division and worked in Small Heath, bordesley green and sheldon where I was a DC. Working with DS ernie Needham. i recognize Eric Hayward I think from Sheldon, Beefy Osman who was on the area car. A real character. Dave Speake was a DC st Washwood Heath.Dave Sadler also Sheldon I think.
I Have many great memories of my time with the Force. I am actually flying to England tomorrow and will shortly turn 80.

hello brandane and welcome to the forum..hope to hear more from you when you return to canada...enjoy your time in england:)

lyn

Hi l served on the mounted with Ken Fisher he was a character and a practical joker he was stationed at Duke St.

I worked at Duke Street with the mounted branch as a cadet. Kenny Fisher and Dick Cheetham come to mind and Fish was a real character. I forget the name of the Chief Inspector in charge, he was a bit crusty but was nice to me. I went on to serve at Digbeth and lived there in single men's . I was A293 until I left for Canada in 1966. I remember Malcolm Adama was A292.

I left for Canada 1964. A life long friend Mansel Chapell who was a Sgt when we first met at Washwood Heath, ended up as an Inspector on the mounted working out of Duke Street.
He joined in 1939 and joined the RAF ehere he was trained as a bomber pilot.

Funny story. In 1967 I visited the Training centre as I wanted to join up. Halfway through interview with the recruiting Sergeant PC comes in and asks me if I'd parked my car at the front of the building, yes I admitted. Turned out I'd parked in the Chief Constables parking space, I left with a very red face and never returned. I can also remember seeing the statue of Robert Peel :)

Hi Nick 101
I Liked your story on the parking issue did you a ticket ha,
many years ago as i was in the licence trade management teams as some of you may remember
that i mentioned yes years ago
i have worked for a couple of brewery,s my old dutches and myself up and over the country
Mitchells and butlers used to have there christmas partys there ,every year with out fail
In there social club down there and beleive all pub mangers from all over brum would be there
and we used to have alot of police officiers drinking with us all hours of the night
there was no time limit beleive me
Mand B always had there charity collections with big buckets by the dozens and beleive me we would fill them
Right up until our sessions them buckets would fill to the brim
every body put big money in them fifty pounds notes and tens and twentys
there would be thousand in those buckets all for charitys
pub licencees are very gennerous when it comes to giving
pershore road used to have there horse divison down there but sadly they have long gone
as a kid i can recall when they built tally ho we used to go past in our little gang
we was all but twelve years old when we used to go scrumping up the Harbone road
and the August road and westfield road in those days there was the very old and huge
Victorian house with very long drives and they had orchards long before
the house of today and there was a teacher at ickneild street music teach
nobody liked him but one day he was telling us all about his allotments in harborne
and when it was apple season we all went up and raided and scrumped from is couple of tree,
Nothink was ever said in class by him us school kids would be the last people
he would have thought of after all we was from hockley and ladywood
He was in posh Harborne best wishes Astonian,,,,,, Alan,,,,

Going off thread slightly. When I worked at Kinsbury in the late sixties we often had a lock in at the Royal Oak at the end of our late shift. We were standing at the bar one night when this Policeman in uniform walked in, having not long started visiting the pub my mates and I were pooing ourselves, turned out it was the village Bobby who always called in at the end of his late shift. Was also handy when we were warned of any impending raids, usually just in time to make it to the car park.

Last edited:
Back