• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Jonathan Blakeman

proper brummie kid
Edit.
This thread covers Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974
For West Midlands Police 1974 onwards see this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/west-midlands-police-1974-onwards.40866/

..........................................................................................................................

Birmingham City Police info from Wikipedia:

1839–1974: Established in 1839 following an outbreak of Charists rioting for which the Metropolitan Police had to help quell, officers from Birmingham City Police first took to the streets on 20 November of that year. Initially with a strength of 260 officers paid at a rate of 17 shillings
a week. the constabulary expanded to keep pace with the growth of the city with the final areas to be added before the force's amalgamation in West Midlands Police being the Hollywood area.

..........................................................................................................................

Hi,

Was wondering if any of you out there served with B'ham City Police between 1952 and 1966. I am trying to track down any photos that may have my Grandad on them. He died on duty aged 35 in 1966, his name was Kerim Blakeman.

Would also be interested in any B'ham City Police photos from this period, or of the stations themselves. He was based at Bridge St West and then Steelhouse Lane with the Traffic Patrols.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

I remember your grandfather Kerim Blakemasn but knew him as Ken. He died of a heart attack whilst pushing a broken down vehicle. If you search Bridge Street West and Steelhouse Lane you should find some photos of the stations.
Old Boy (Chris Beresford)

my dad was Walsall Met then joined Birmingham City, he retired from WMP in 1985, he is Laurence Hogg. He met my mom at Digbeth Station where she was a WPC and they married in 1960, she is Rita Hogg nee Bennett, both now in their mid 70's. My Godfather was Ron Kimberley and godmother is Pat Gould - anyone remember there names?

Hi James

have you tried the museum at Sparkhill, Dave Cross in the guy who runs it

I,d like to contribute to this thread but my ears are still ringing from 50 years ago every time i came in contact with the police when i was a kid their right hand seemed to have a magnetic attraction towards my left ear . Dek

Hi Pagan,

I remember your Mom and dad well. We were all on the 'A' Division (Steelhouse Lane and Digbeth not forgetting Bridge Street West) at one time I also remember Pat Gould but cannot place Ron Kimberley. Please remember me to your Mom and Dad. I am Chris Beresford and they will probably remember me as I was a grumpy old so and so. I still am come to think of it.

All the best in the New Year.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

oh wow, I'm seeing them tomorrw so I'll pass on your regards and pass the forum details on to them , Wishing you a very happy new year toox

Hi James, I worked with your father on Traffic about 1963, he was known as Ken, lovely chap with a good sense of humour. Mind you in those days you had to have a sense of humour other-wise you wouldn't survive. Others around at the time were Leo Harris, Ken Fisher (the white boot man). The Vicar -Stan Green, Bullet 'R'. 303. I will explain the 'White boot man' If anyone visited Duke Street Garage and stood talking for more than a minute. They would leave with white painted boots. Your mom and dad lived at the back of the Odeon Perry Barr. As mentioned previously he died whilst pushing a car. A tragic loss.
George Thursfield.

I see Leo at the reunions, I know the name Ken Fisher, I think he used to be on the donkeys and I've heard of 'Bullet' and many tales from the Duke Street days off my dad and my old colleagues from the mounted dept, happy days....

Old Boy & George1468,

I am very pleased to have come across two people who knew of my Grandad, PC Kerim Blakeman. As you will see i have only just joined this forum and i posted on the slim chance that someone out there knew him and used this forum.
I had heard he was sometimes called Ken by his friends, also Kerry, as opposed to his real name Kerim. He died in June 1966, as mentioned, pushing a vehicle out of Minstead Road (by what is now spaghetti junction).
i would love to hear of any stories you have, be it good or bad. We have viewed his police file so we know of his career on paper. Any information would be dearly appreciated, characteristics, habits, anything.

Last edited:
Hi James,

Like Chris, I knew and worked with your Grandfather - we knew him as Ken. Steelhouse Lane, Digbeth and Bridge Street West, seem to remember 'A'256 was the number but the 1950's are a long time off !!! Not much detail but a great chap to know.
I hope you find out more. Regards - Happy New Year David Prince 'A 40'

James,

I've joined the forum to reply and have just seen the photos No 2 is the Ken I remember - taken outside 'Hawkins' Lancaster Place at the bottom of Steelhouse Lane - Fire HQ background left . Cheers David

Looking at No.1 - Looks like a Training Centre photo when he joined - uniforms all different - Cap badge on front two could be Dudley Borough Force I seem to remember they were bigger than most other forces - flat caps also used in training Centres - Mill Mecce, Staffs.

Last edited:
Hi Pagan,

Joined to give a quick reply and best wishes to Laurie - (A 192 rings a bell but not sure.) We worked together on old Birmingham City 'A' Div and also 198xx - 1985 at the Motorway Control Centre, 'T' Div Perry Barr and one or two points in between. I hope his health is much improved - please pass my best wishes to you all for 2010 - Regards David Prince

James,

I've joined the forum to reply and have just seen the photos No 2 is the Ken I remember - taken outside 'Hawkins' Lancaster Place at the bottom of Steelhouse Lane - Fire HQ background left . Cheers David

Looking at No.1 - Looks like a Training Centre photo when he joined - uniforms all different - Cap badge on front two could be Dudley Borough Force I seem to remember they were bigger than most other forces - flat caps also used in training Centres - Mill Mecce, Staffs.

Hi,

You could well be right about photo number 1. He attended Mill Meece Training Centre in 1952. I did know of the location of the second photo, the fire station clock being the big clue but my family have never been sure of the year. A similar photo was included in the Birmingham City Police Recruiting Book (1965).

You are also correct regarding his collar number, "A256" and was later "R414"

Can't quite believe i have now found three people who knew him, i look forward to any further comments you may be able to give.

Having a look through his file (to maybe bring back a few memories for you all), i found the names Inspector Downey (1951), T/Inspr. Greensalde (1951), Inspector J.Rutherford (1953), PC C148 J.Kendrick, PC R264 Hawkesford (promoted to sgt in 1966)

Completed an attachment to the Traffic Patrols May 1963 ~ Nov 1963. Was moved to Traffic Patrols 14/2/66.

Was on duty at Duke Street 27/6/66,posted to patrol the 'D' division with PC D202 Evans. Moved a Commer Van out of the road which was obstructing traffic, then collapsing to the ground unconscious. Another name mentioned at this time was Inspector Enstone and P.W.Scott.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm glad I got the collar No correct - I'm no good on names but numbers seem to stick! Weight - didn't we all amass a bit !!! - If I remember anything else I'll answer direct to your e-mail above. Most of us had a drink after duty to wind down - no such things as social clubs now. One thing you can be sure of - he was a popular member of the watch and his death came as a great shock to us all.

Hi,

You could well be right about photo number 1. He attended Mill Meece Training Centre in 1952. I did know of the location of the second photo, the fire station clock being the big clue but my family have never been sure of the year. A similar photo was included in the Birmingham City Police Recruiting Book (1965).

You are also correct regarding his collar number, "A256" and was later "R414"

Can't quite believe i have now found three people who knew him, i look forward to any further comments you may be able to give.

Having a look through his file (to maybe bring back a few memories for you all), i found the names Inspector Downey (1951), T/Inspr. Greensalde (1951), Inspector J.Rutherford (1953), PC C148 J.Kendrick, PC R264 Hawkesford (promoted to sgt in 1966)

He moved into police housing in December 1953, 39 Wolcot Grove (moor lane)

Completed an attachment to the Traffic Patrols May 1963 ~ Nov 1963. Was moved to Traffic Patrols 14/2/66.

Was on duty at Duke Street 27/6/66,posted to patrol the 'D' division with PC D202 Evans. Moved a Commer Van out of the road which was obstructing traffic, then collapsing to the ground unconscious. Another name mentioned at this time was Inspector Enstone and P.W.Scott.

Again, any memories would be so helpful - was he a drinker? a smoker? a football fan? The photos we have of him do seem to show he put on a lot of weight in his early 30's

Hi again James, I misread your first Post. I read it as Father NOT G/father. We are discussing the same man. I will put my thinking cap on and see what the grey matter comes up with. Good luck with your search I am sure there will be more responses. Happy New Year to you and your family. George

my dad was at thornhill road too i think it was late 60's early 70's

Back