• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Parks Dept.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
1n 1960/70s i worked as a tractor driver,i mowed the grass,in parks and allotments

Last edited:
I also worked as a tractor driver for the parks in the mid seventies but from Billesley depot and originally on the allotments ploughing and rotovating, I then moved over to the mowing grass and had both fergies and Fords, and was the first one to use a hydraulic driven mowers. Didnt move flowers but had the honour of collecting the elephant pooh from the circus when they were opposite the leyland truck works. Remember the Harrier jet landing on Billesley common for a demo,cant remember what it was for but the red arrows appeared as well

AKA GW1XOT and F5VNF

hi.and ta for reply.what a great job it was.i had a front end loader on mine,and had to shift the rubbish,from the dif parks and allotments.:ie the old air raid shelter iron

My brother worked there as well and he had the front end loader which had a concrete block on the back which just had two hooks on it and used to hang on a bar acros the link arms and was forever dropping off at the most awkward moments usually in the middle of the bristol road. Great days

great stuff.i never used the block.i had a trailer,due to having a full licence.i could use both.
as for the block never felt safe with that just hooked on.

My Dad worked in Aston Park as a gardener in the early 1950's and one of his jobs was to lock the gates last thing and unlock them first thing

cornwall col.the locks on all parks gate's were all,opend with a standard key..i think it was a p27/p25,nearly every one who worked for the bcpd had one.

Good Heavens, someone remembering the P27 keys. I didn't work for the Parks Department but I had on as well as a P25. I still have one in my 'old key tin'. One of the Parks Police gave me them so that I could get in anytime and excercise my dog!
Obviously a Top Security environment!

silver fox.due to the vandels,they made most parks open.by lowering the fences,and walls,it was cheaper in the long run.

My mate works for a company in Birmingham that road sweep the parks in brum i hook up with him,every month.
canon hill billesley depot lifford res kings norton and a lot more,
he has a bunch of the said key,s bigger me thinks that you need in
winson green nick. thought these mite be of interest to
mwonjm? regards dereklcg

Last edited:
dereklcg.nice pics.i had one like that ferguson tef20.nice tool.
the ford are hard to come by,every on here uses them for boat launching.
so when they become scrap,they are scrap.

They had one like that on our caravan site to launch boats and yes it's gone now. The man a couple of vans away has several he used to restore them I will ask him when I next visit if he has any photo's.

i was told that the RAF used to use them,hence the colour?
i used to work on plant hire many moons ago we had them with a brush that were hired to a tip that used to have to keep the road clean outside,
also a tract air with a compressor on the back,also post hole borer,s
and as you know, mwonjm you could run almost anything off the PTO.
but that was other tractor,s we did have one of the fordson
tractors run a chaffing machine at a former bosses stables that took so maintaining. happy days regards Derek.

Back