• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City first home game at St Andrews 1906

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
As any one got a copy of the programme for the first home game at St Andrews. I have been told it is only one sheet of paper.

Cheers

Terry

Just found this on another auction site, although no picture it indicates the programme had "covers" and "the contents inside are okay" so I would say it was a proper programme.

https://www.footy-progs.com/live-public-auctions/sale-no-17-thursday-8th-august-2013-view-brochure/

LOT 0039 1906/07 Birmingham v Middlesbrough, the programme for the Opening Ceremony and game played at the new grounds, at St Andrews, Bordesley, Birmingham, on 26/11/1906. The covers have heavy sellotape repairs, hence the estimate, but the contents inside are okay, and it would be possible to make a good professional repair. Estimate £280/£320

brummie nick, I've looked everywhere for a photo of J. C. Holder who kicked off Birmingham Citys first home game against Middlesbrough, any links, ideas lease ?

Some articles seem to list the game was kicked off by a J C Holder but Wikipedia doesn't list a Holder in the squad of 1906/07

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906–07_Birmingham_F.C._season

but a J C Holder is mentioned in another Wikipedia article but he is listed as opening the stadium, he seemed to be a local businessman

"Beneath the stand were refreshment rooms, changing rooms, a training area with plunge bath, a billiard room donated by brewery magnate Sir John Holder, and the club's boardroom and offices, which hitherto had been maintained in premises in Birmingham city centre"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrew's_(stadium)

I wonder if over the years opening the ground/stadium has gotten mixed up with opening the game.

Sir John Holder was a local brewery magnate, his brewery being in Nova Scotia Street, he was said to kick off 'On pitch' as part of the opening ceremony, just wondered where there might be a photo/news clipping, supporting this.

I have a b & w photocopy of the brochure which I have scanned. Quality is o.k.
Let me know if you want a copy.

Can't seem to be able to message you but if you would be so kind I'd like a copy please.

Cheers
David

Last edited:
It appears that some members have chosen to Not Accept 'Private Messages' from other members. It is not the normal situation on this forum to allow email addresses visible to any visitor to the forum. The email addresses will be left for the moment whislt Admin discuss the position. However it should be recognised that you are leaving yourselves open to spammers and worse (see my warning about the Cryptolock Ransomware) by displaying your email address on an open forum.

BernardR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for emailing this Allan but for some reason I can't open the images on my works computer, that first page with the Sir john Holder would be particularly useful for the 1906 Trail booklet - The 1906 Trail is an 11 mile guided walk from Kings Heath Park to Upper Gough Street via Rea Valley, Cole Valley, St Andrews and Digbeth - 11th January 2014

Hi guys
Whilst sitting in my barbers the other day down in brum and my barber is known by quite area of our members whom used do go there or used to go there know Phil
Anther guy came in and he started the conversation about the blues and the old blue noses called the Zulu warriors of the blues
And I used to serve these guys in my pub many years ago I treated them okay so l had no problems with them
But when Phil mentionioned the old warriors and what they was like for trouble at matches and he sakid like the other customer to Phil
Was this season the off springs of the warriors are going down and in numbers growing wearing the peaky blinders head gear with the old razors in the flat caps
Just like the peaky blinders and he said over the season you will see the flat cap brigade grow in numbers down at the blues ground
What mentalitity is that I asked them and said it gonna be great

So any of you oldest guys of the blue brigade stay well clear of these hooligans swearing flat caps is all I can say best wishes astonian

Back