• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour

jane k

master brummie
I have just discovered via Findmypast that my grandfather Edward Laurence Howell is in the Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour. He joined 15th Battalion, Royal Warwicks. By any chance does anyone have access to this Book? I have his Medal Index record but think his actual service record no longer exists and would love to find out more about what he did during the War. I know he was badly injured but have no details

That`s what I`ve got Janice. I was hoping there might be more information in the actual book but I could be clutching at straws!

The only alternative might be to read through the war diaries on Ancestry but it looks as if he changed regiments to KOY so it might be tricky unless you know when he was injured.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don`t know anything about his injury other than that he changed regiment after it and became a PT instruction

That actually helps as it means you only have to look at the Royal Warwicks diaries. Will see if i can spot anything.

I`ve now managed to find and download the War Diary for the 15th Battalion from the National Archives so I will wade through that and see if I can find anything about him

I found it as well. It often only names officers but you never know.
Good reading - I find I can only read a bit at a time.

I`m afraid I have given up on reading the war diary. As Janice mentioned, only officers are mentioned by name.

I think Birmingham Library might have a copy of the Book of Honour. Does anyone know if they would do research on my behalf? I am not able to visit

Back