• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

Still won't work, (for me that is) perhaps someone could suggest what I might try, dying to see what it is!!

Joanio

Clifton Cinema, was my cinema for getting in the back door, down the front left side the screen was the gents and Exit door.Only got caught a few times sneaking in. Those were the days Oh! to be a kid again.

I'll see what references i can pick up on this classic movie. Like which magazines in stock in the Birmingham Library system have the reviews and pictures of the day. This will be "beyond Wikepedia" Alf;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have me beaten by two years Alf, but I do have the ball to go with the shoes and one pin which we borrowed from the bowling alley in Guernsey

Does anyone remember the Atlas in Flaxley Road Stechford???
I went to see Cliff on stage there.
There was a good fish/chip shop close by. FISH/CHIPS 1/6P

Derek

Yes remember it well Derek:)

Is the Chip shop still there? more to the point have the Fish & Chips gone up:D

yes I also remember the Atlas it was set back off the road just at the end opposite where Matalan is now, although I never went in as it wasn't near where I lived, if I remember rightly it was one of the Cinemas that Harry Dare (Dare To Build) owned (the other being the Castle at castle Bromwich)

Regards Chris B

Re: Cinephone

The pictue House on Bristol St was the Cinephone, a mate of ours used to be the projectionist there, he used to have to censor the continental films before they could be shown and had set up a projector at home that shone on to the neighbours wall and he used to show us the cersored bits!
hi all
My name is Peter, I used to work at the cinephone on the Bristol Road in 1967 to 1973. Does any one remember John or mick

hi
does anyone remember the cinephone on the bristol road.
i would love to hear from anyone.
please contact me
thanks
peter

Yes Peter it opened as the Bristol Street Picture House in 1912

It became The Broadway in 1923

In 1956 became a 600+ seater Called the Cinephone Closed 1977 renamed the Gala then the Climax, Closed early 1980:)

I used to visit in the early 1960s with a Crowd of mates who were Representatives every Friday afternoon if nothing good on we went to any Cinema in the Town Centre, Happy days.

Hi Alf,
It's Peter.
I used to work at the ciniphone from 1967 to August 1973.
I was 3rd projectionist.
Did you work there or just visit?
Do you know anybody who did work there?

No just visits.

But I worked as 3rd Projectionist at the Mayfair Perry Common 1951/52

No just visits.

But I worked as 3rd Projectionist at the Mayfair Perry Common 1951/52

hi Alf
do you know of anybody who worked there.
i'm trying to get in touch with anybody.
thanks for your time
also did you ever go to or know of the cinema opposite new street station, i think it was called the Tackler.
all it showed was cartoons.
it was owned by the same company.

has anyone worked or know of anyone who has worked at the cinephone, bristol road

Do you remember The Futerist cinema New St, the balcony seats were so steep it was scary, when there was a queue the doorman would come along shouting "Seats in the balcony with an angel on each shoulder!", you took your life in your hands when you got up there!.

Yes Peter it was the Electric Theatre when it opened 1937 its had a few names in its time. I knew it as the News Theatre I think:rolleyes:

Tatlar, Jacey, Classic, Classic 1 & 2 and Tivoli I & 2

:)

Only name I can remember was Reg Tomlinson and he was a mate of mine for years,haven't seen him since the early 70s when he got married and moved to Tamworth I believe, then I moved to Cardiff.

When I was young it was the thing to go to the Cinema and I was hooked and in the late 40s right up to the 1970s could go 2 or 3 times a week.

Since then I've only been to the Cinema 3 times, Once in Hythe Kent Zanado, Folkestone can't remember the Title and Cardiff Star Wars the first one.

Back