• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Christmas won’t be the same without our yearly Christmas visit to the Electric Cinema to see “It’s a Wonderful Life”, sad times.

The wife and I have been going there for a few years now, it’s part of our Christmas tradition, along with going to watch ”The Nutcracker” at the Hippodrome.

Fingers crossed...

Excellent news!
Slightly different report from the BBC website....
Brilliant! There’s hope for the continuation of our tradition then

Dont think I ever went to see a film there but a few of us from The Birmingham Scooter Club used their coffee bar, situated under the balcony.
We had been evicted from The Midland Red Depot, Digbeth who explained they weren't going to keep their cafeteria open after 11pm to serve 7 coffees.
I remember going to the scooter club. I seem to remember that it was called the Cherubs.

My father would take me to The Cartoon Picture House (The Jacey) in Station Street in the mid sixties. The funny thing was as well as showing Looney Tunes cartoons, it used to show Flash Gordan (with Buster Crabbe) and Batman which were 'shorts' and shown as a series and The Three Stooges. All of these were filmed in the 1930s and 1940s. As a child I wasn't aware of this and derived a lot of enjoyment in watching them.

Batman and Robin (1949)

View attachment 162325
yes looney tunes is already pretty much outdated like this photo. My daughter was looking at something fresh the other day))
may like it

I remember going to the scooter club. I seem to remember that it was called the Cherubs.
Well that's a suprise! The Cherubs was my idea. We were trying to come up with something for a banner to put on the scooters to advertise our presence at rallies etc.
I suggested Cherubs as a sort of pun on us being a small version of Hells Angels ! Another member was into something in advertising and we got a picture of a crash helmeted Cherub going flat out in a black silhouette on a yellow background.
Had a great social time as females were very welcome and we competed well against other two wheelers in events like The ACU 1000 miles. Non of that Mods and Rockers rubbish and a few of went to Austria for a trip in 1960.

Hmm.. The Olton Cinema was really the more up market then the Robin Hood and Rialto. Having worked for ABC and later was a part owner of the Oltons Parent company... The Olton Cost more to build then the other 2 put to gether. Had the more modern projection system eg Philips. was the first to have the FP7's that went back to the Philips in Holland when it closed.. (They paid us more then we paid for them to start off with.. The Olton Had the groups board room in and always had the money spent on the Theatre.. The Theatre had a full repaint every 10 years and cleaning coat every 5years. Unlike the Robin hood and the Rialto that had the same coat of paint and the same seats as when it closed as it opened... AS B.T. Davis the Chairman lived near by it had to be right....

Mike, I am doing some research on local cinemas in Acocks Green, Olton and Solihull and wonder if you are able to enlighten me further on their history. One point that I am not clear on with the Olton is the name of the last film shown. There is information stating it was Samantha Eggar and Oliver Reed in “The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a gun” however I have seen another report in a 1972 copy of The Birmingham Daily Post referring to a film called “Red Sun” I wonder if you could throw any light on this? I hope you do not mind me reaching out to you.

Mike, I am doing some research on local cinemas in Acocks Green, Olton and Solihull and wonder if you are able to enlighten me further on their history. One point that I am not clear on with the Olton is the name of the last film shown. There is information stating it was Samantha Eggar and Oliver Reed in “The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a gun” however I have seen another report in a 1972 copy of The Birmingham Daily Post referring to a film called “Red Sun” I wonder if you could throw any light on this? I hope you do not mind me reaching out to you.
Check it out here

Red Sun a western with a Japanese twist released in 1972. Charles Bronson starred
Bob

Mum still mentions her time as an usherette in one of Aston's cinemas in the 1950s (don't know which one though). She's 89 now but reminisces often. Could have been the Astoria.

My uncle, Bernard Murphy was a cinema projectionist in the 1930s and 40s in Sutton Coldfield and Tamworth. It was a very skilled occupation.
Hi there do you have any more info on your uncle as I think he was my grandad and I have been trying to trace my family tree for years

Hi
He was born in 1923. he had a son called Paul possibly born in 1952. His wife was Irene Grace. Bernard died in late1955.
If this fits with him being your grandad send me a private message and we can exchange information.
Carolann

Hi
He was born in 1923. he had a son called Paul possibly born in 1952. His wife was Irene Grace. Bernard died in late1955.
If this fits with him being your grandad send me a private message and we can exchange information.
Carolann
I am new to this I can’t see how to private message you

Back