• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Cinephone

Interesting comments from the girls - I wonder what school they were from, they didn't have much of an accent so I guess one of the 'posh' schools!
I vaguely remember the film's title but didn't see it myself.

Interesting comments from the girls - I wonder what school they were from, they didn't have much of an accent so I guess one of the 'posh' schools!
I vaguely remember the film's title but didn't see it myself.
I agree ASparks, Also their choice of words. I don’t remember or see the movie!

Hi,

I only went to the Cinephone on one occasion, to see a film called 'Love Variations'
which I was told was really funny.
They weren't wrong, It consisted of a couple in still poses who were obviously trying to
keep their balance while maintaining their modesty, with a white coated "doctor"
explaining what was going on. The highlight of the film was a particularly awkward
pose in which they tried in vain to maintain their balance but failed, and collapsed
in a heap on the floor.
All a bit tame by today's standards, but a good laugh anyway.

Kind regards
Dave

I must admit when I was around 16 went to a party, and was invited on a date to go to the Odeon cinema at Perry Barry.
Was stood up he must have got a better offer lol, but I never did see the inside which look impressiv.

In recent years have been to the Electric Cinema in the heart of Birmingham. Tickets were a gift, that was lovely inside.I do believe that it’s now closed for good not because of Covid, but something to do with the end if their lease its a shame.

Another great memory was when I went to see "Forbidden Planet" at the Ritz in Bordesley Green. They had a full size model of Robby the robot in the foyer, I'm not sure if it actually worked or not, does anyone else remember seeing this at their local? it would have been 1956/7
Yes I know the Ritz, The first X film I saw was 'Closhmerl" bad spelling a French film. Was not impressed very, very ordinary.
Ernie

Apart from the Ritz, there was The Era, Green Lane Cinema ( the bug hole),Kingston Cinema.All within walking distance.

I must admit when I was around 16 went to a party, and was invited on a date to go to the Odeon cinema at Perry Barry.
Was stood up he must have got a better offer lol, but I never did see the inside which look impressiv.

In recent years have been to the Electric Cinema in the heart of Birmingham. Tickets were a gift, that was lovely inside.I do believe that it’s now closed for good not because of Covid, but something to do with the end if their lease its a shame.

Oh dear, I'm very sorry to hear about the Electric Cinema. It is (was) the longest running cinema in the whole of the UK, slightly older than the Electric in Portobello Road, London which has just reopened I understand.
I do so hope something can be done to keep it going, it's Cinema history.

As most of you know I was brought up in Small Heath and that area was particularly well off for cinemas when we were kids. Within walking distance of our house there was
The Grange
The Coronet
The Kingston
The Green Lane
The Era

and just a short bus ride away there were
The Adelphi
The Tivoli
The Sheldon
The Waldorf
The Piccadilly
The Rock
The Ritz

Very often I'd go to the pictures three times on a Saturday, I'd go to a morning matinee at one cinema, an afternoon matinee at another and our mum would take me to pictures on Saturday night while the old man went for a drink - Mum didn't drink :wink:
My Mom took me to see DICK Barton Special Agent at the Green lane Cinema. I persuaded her to take in a school friend as well as it was A rated.
Ernie
The News Theatre, Birmingham...

The News Theatre, Birmingham...

I used to go to the News Theatre, it was good value we could watch the program twice and was good night out with my girl friend. Is it still operating? Someone let me know, please
Ernie

My father would take me to The Cartoon Picture House (The Jacey) in Station Street in the mid sixties. The funny thing was as well as showing Looney Tunes cartoons, it used to show Flash Gordan (with Buster Crabbe) and Batman which were 'shorts' and shown as a series and The Three Stooges. All of these were filmed in the 1930s and 1940s. As a child I wasn't aware of this and derived a lot of enjoyment in watching them.

Batman and Robin (1949)

Batman and Robin (1949).jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear, I'm very sorry to hear about the Electric Cinema. It is (was) the longest running cinema in the whole of the UK, slightly older than the Electric in Portobello Road, London which has just reopened I understand.
I do so hope something can be done to keep it going, it's Cinema history.
hi sparks so we have the oldest cinema in the uk...quite a claim to fame but i doubt very much if the powers that be will be tripping over each other to save it...certainly looks closed now looking at street view...so sad

lyn

My father would take me to The Cartoon Picture House (The Jacey) in Station Street in the mid sixties. The funny thing was as well as showing Looney Tunes cartoons, it used to show Flash Gordan (with Buster Crabbe) and Batman which were 'shorts' and shown as a series and The Three Stooges. All of these were filmed in the 1930s and 1940s. As a child I wasn't aware of this and derived a lot of enjoyment in watching them.

Batman and Robin (1949)

View attachment 162325
Good morning I have a boxed set of the original Batman , one of the actors is J Carroll Nash who acts as the evil Dr Dakar . Turning people into Zombies , of course it all works out well in the end with Batman being there .

thanks jan...copied and pasted what the web site says...i could be wrong but reading it it seems to me that the cinema could be owned by the council...or at least the ground its on...would be interesting to find out...if it turns out its council property/land then i do fear for the cinema

The Electric Cinema Birmingham​

The future of The Electric Cinema Birmingham faces an even bigger issue than that of Covid due to the impending end of its 88 year lease.
As the freeholder has yet to make a decision about its plans for Station Street, we are not currently in a position to reopen the cinema.
This uncertainty has also meant we have been unable to apply for the Cultural Recovery Fund or other financial support to assist us financially through the period of closure.

32334656563_f027b13c1f_c.jpg

thanks jan...copied and pasted what the web site says...i could be wrong but reading it it seems to me that the cinema could be owned by the council...or at least the ground its on...would be interesting to find out...if it turns out its council property/land then i do fear for the cinema

The Electric Cinema Birmingham​

The future of The Electric Cinema Birmingham faces an even bigger issue than that of Covid due to the impending end of its 88 year lease.
As the freeholder has yet to make a decision about its plans for Station Street, we are not currently in a position to reopen the cinema.
This uncertainty has also meant we have been unable to apply for the Cultural Recovery Fund or other financial support to assist us financially through the period of closure.
I remember going there as a kid , while I realise we have to move forward it is sad to think that this landmark might disappear

The Ashsted Cinema, Ashsted Row.
My oldest brother was the projectionist at the Ashsted in early mid 50s and I was allowed up to the projection room to watch him working. It seemed exciting the first couple of times but I soon got bored watching him doing very little. He would load the film, sometimes it would break, everybody would boo, he would fix it and get it running again and everybody would cheer. It closed in late 50s and he went to another one cant remember which one.
I did google before posting and there is a great photo on there but I did'nt copy and post it because I dont know who owns it.
Ken

Last edited:
Back