• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

yes brian just over the road from the gothic pub...this cinema has been discussed on the forum and if memory serves me right i think an old photo was posted which showed the cinema...

lyn

Wonder if anyone recalls the old "Vic" on Victoria Road Aston. From memory and not positive think that was where I
used to go to the Saturday morning matinee in the 50s I remember seeing Batman in black and white and Roy Rodgers. It cost 6d in.

Wonder if anyone recalls the old "Vic" on Victoria Road Aston. From memory and not positive think that was where I
used to go to the Saturday morning matinee in the 50s I remember seeing Batman in black and white and Roy Rodgers. It cost 6d in.

I used to live off Victoria Road in the 70's , the cinema was well gone by then . I've also seen those Batman serials and I'm pleased to say I have the entire series on dvd . Nothing can beat the original Batman in b&w

When I lived in Queens Rd Aston ages ago my 2 favourite local cinemas were the 'Vic' (Victoria Playhouse) and the Astoria, Aston Cross, never was keen on the Aston Cross cinema, only went if there was a particular film I wanted to see. Eric

what a little gem of a building the victoria playhouse was...does anyone know what happened to the land it was on....or was the playhouse demolished and the land left vacant ever since as so often we see..

lyn

what a little gem of a building the victoria playhouse was...does anyone know what happened to the land it was on....or was the playhouse demolished and the land left vacant ever since as so often we see..

lyn
I think the Aston Expressway runs through it

Is this the picture house that became the Empress? Any idea of the year this photo was taken? As I said before, my uncle, Bernard Murphy was a projectionist there in the 1930's.
Hi there my grandad was Bernard but due to circumstances beyond my control I never got to meet him, do you have any further details about him

What was the name of the picture house which stood where Bristol street motors is. They seemed to show sexy type films, we went there to see the Yellow Teddy Bears in 1962 when I was 15.
HI, That was the Cinimaphone (spelling can be corrected by others if wrong)

Do you remember when an "A" film was on and you were too young to go in by yourself, you would hang around asking adults until someone took you in. Quite a scary thought today, but it was common practice then, and I never heard of anyone coming to any harm.
Hi, Used to do that at the Atlas stechford 'Take one in please'

HI, That was the Cinimaphone (spelling can be corrected by others if wrong)
Dont think I ever went to see a film there but a few of us from The Birmingham Scooter Club used their coffee bar, situated under the balcony.
We had been evicted from The Midland Red Depot, Digbeth who explained they weren't going to keep their cafeteria open after 11pm to serve 7 coffees.

Back