• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Anyone have a photo of the TIVOLI that was on Cov rd in Yardley? Spent many afternoons snogging in the back of that one. John Crump OldBri. Parker. Co USA

Anyone have #a photo of the TIVOLI that was on Cov rd in Yardley? Spent many afternoons snogging in the back of that one. John Crump OldBri. Parker. Co USA
The Tivoli cinema has a thread to itself and there is a photo from Phil on #8. Annoyingly, the thread is entitled "Tiverley cinama". Is it possible for the kind admin people to correct this title? Dave

Hi Phil
As I said to bongo on my last thread it closed down many years before the year he stated it closed he said in the sixtys
And I told him he was wrong it was in the sixtys they started to build the new section which started on the left hand side of Camden street
Facing the oringnal building in the mid sixties it took them ages to build all the way up Camden street right up to albion street
Before they started to. Build the new building in Camden street they had to comdem some of the shops on the main road of ickneild street
Such as the barbers shop that was on the corner of ickneild street facing the warstone pub and the cycle bike shop which was next to him and a clothes
Shop then our relatives chippie shop then there was a news agents next door then there was a frontage wall running down to the corner of spring hill
And right on that very corner was the old frontage part of the palace minus the signage and lamps and etc above they left the round circulate
Stained glass which I may had if you or if you get your hands on a Carl chinns book called the streets of brum part 5.
And turn to page 70 you will find a picture of spring hill and as they took the picture of the library ,you will see the part I have mentionioned
The frontage of the palace and of the front roof and above windows this is a picture taken in the early 1960s
You will also see the demo of bill London's shop and the midland bank and of the the turf pub already been bull dozed
This is really the point of spring hill at the same time up across the road the old pallie ballroom what bullpitts had bought for a ware house many years before
Was also bull dosel also have news paper cutting and another book where upon jusxt before these building was knocked down
There is a guy named Moore had been taking pictures and I happen to be one of them in the picture blundering for wood for bonfire night from there old sight
But getting back on track they completed all there new buildings around the complete streets for bull Pitts by 1984
My brother , worked there during all this time along with a. Brother in law frank whom lived across the road in Camden street in the flat
Also is brother was a security officer for many years before he started is brother moved with them to the black country
But yet again getting back to the palace the front feature meaning the roof and side walls in white brick work was there for area years before they moved and knocked
That particular corner peice down what they actually done was half way along on summer hill facing the remaining shops
And right up to the old mid wife's house stopped just short and built there extent ion and an other goods inwards
Ware housing and then they started on the other end of Camden street next to bobs cafe when they finished that they eventually came back to the corner of spring hill
And knocked that faeier down and worked back to Camden street when the commdemed our relies chippie and the news agent
Whom incidently had another news agent by spring ill passage and the crossing he had two shops and he was the first person around there to buy a posh
German car so I know that they did not straight away knock straight away they may have had some inside section down
During the extent ion from the inside like they did with the old pallie defence of monument red and ingle by street
They stripped that out to a degrean but they left the balcony all around inside and used it to its full capacity for there storage
May I add I have another picture of this building with all its building in place before demo it was in the seventys this took p,ace and not 1984!
I will try and get the book out and find the picture of the spring hill prior to all this my o.d man used to take us down to bill landons
I spent my younger days growing up in and around the area of. Springhill , Winston green and Hockley
And seen all the slum clearance take on and as far back as Lee bank and the broad street flats morvile street the entire are
I will find the other picture of spring hill in its glory days
Best wishes Phil for 2015! Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,,

hi alan is this the palace theatre that you are talking about...it was on the opposite corner to spring hill library

lyn

Attachments

• spring hill 1920s.jpg
    spring hill 1920s.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 30
  • SPRING HILL.jpg
    SPRING HILL.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 31
John Crump, my uncle Percy Thompson, was manager of the Tivoli on Coventry Road for many years - probably in the 40s.

Judy

Hi Lynn,
Firstly I hope you had a nice Christmas and secondly I wish you a very happy and healthy and of course prosperous new year
Right back on course yes Lyn many thanks for posting those two pictures that is the ones I was on about
And also in realitity that's how I seen these building when we moved into the area as we only lived up the road from the library
Kingedwards red that was our shopping area and may I had at the time I was a nipper
And the building or what it was I believe it was a shelter in the centre of the rd as you she it soon the picture
When looking at the second picture the first bit of white of a strip was bill landoned shop it was a two story building
It was packed with every item of hardware wall paper included plumbing as well
The stair case inside his cramped shop was steep and if my memory serves me correctly all these years back I think you
Put a photograph of the very old antique fire place bill had left it was on the second floor and strapped to the wall up high
And asked the question about it and I told you you could find the story of bill in the Sunday mercury along with the picture
As the shop was being demolished as I said I used to go there with my dad regular
And the shelter in the red as you see was there up until 1953/4 before it was taken away by the council also ajoing bills shop
In white was the midland bank that went as well the same time
If you walked along summer hill towards the ice rink you would have come to a street just short of the ice skating rink
Which later became the roller rink that street was st marks street and up there was st marks church and kingedwards red crosses there
And then the st marks street continues and there was a horse trough in the middle of the red
On the subject of the palace it was only the frontage you seen but I would have imagined that they knocked in walls and removed the seating and etc
Just like the pallie de dance they built a security office with a commisonair on the front in full regiment gear and with stripes
But they never pulled down the balconys which was all around the hall it was a massive hall from ingle street to almost to spring hill
After they closed this ware house we use to play in there and we use to plunder the wood pallets they left for bonfire nights
This is early fiftysthere is another book with photographs taken by a guy called Moore and of recently I purchased all these books from a lady
And I also recall when a nipper that one summer day a chap across the red was taking pictures of us it now turns out it was this guy named Moore
Taking memory pictures of the area. But I will tell you later of his named book and full name
It as pictures of the area as well
Lyn I have to go now but at some point tonight I will post you the name once again many thanks and keep up the good work
Alan,,, Astonian,,,

A Piece of Useless information. The Lyric Cinema was Owed by The Plaza Stockland Green which was headed by George Parker. He was also a member of the Clifton Syndicate ..

thank you alan and a very happy and healthy new year to you and your family...i will look out for your further postings

all the best

lyn

What about the Mayfair Cinema on College Road, Kingstanding. Where the Cinema was is now the Mayfair Passage.

When the Mayfair cinema was demolished a petrol station was built facing onto the College Road, and behind this a cul de sac of 11 houses leading off Sunnybank Avenue which was named Mayfair Close.
The houses were built in 1971 – my husband and I were amongst the first people to move in – our first house. Mayfair Passage ran behind our garden fence.
We lived there for 5 years. Can’t believe that was 44 years ago!

The Mayfair cinema was built in the 1930's so is contemporary with the building of the Kingstanding and Perry Common estates. Mayfair
passage was built at the same time allowing Kingstanding residents access to the cinema and shops on the college road.

I haven't read all 1400 or so entries to this thread so this may be a repeat. But I came across this letterhead that I thought might be of interest
img040 (2).jpg

dated 1937 and shows connection with several Birmingham cinemas Bristol, Victoria, Solihull, Regalia and Mayfair. My mother in law had worked at the Bristol for twelve years 1925-1937 and she received references from A.G May and A.W. Rogers.

The Regalia Co., Ltd., Was The Rock Cinema in Saltley. This was inpartnership with Sidney Clift and Leon Salberg. The Mayfair was in partnership with Lyons estates The Had a number of small low end of the market cinemas. The Globe The Bull digbeth. Olymipia Ladywood.. A.G. May was the General Manager.. who was replaced with his son-in-law.. Ray Adams.
I haven't read all 1400 or so entries to this thread so this may be a repeat. But I came across this letterhead that I thought might be of interest
View attachment 96910

dated 1937 and shows connection with several Birmingham cinemas Bristol, Victoria, Solihull, Regalia and Mayfair. My mother in law had worked at the Bristol for twelve years 1925-1937 and she received references from A.G May and A.W. Rogers.

Mike,
wasn't Tom Clarke Albert Rogers Son In Law? and Ray Adams was just an ex ABC Manager who had experience in both cinemas and bowling who they employed as General Manager when Alf May retired ?

I worked for Sidney Clift in the late 50s. I worked at Cinema Accessories Ltd in Corporation Street in the Film Booking Dept. We did all the admin and for the Clifton Cinema Group.

Chris,Tom Clarke was Albert Rogers Son-in-law... and Ray Adams was Alf May's Son-in-law. I spent some time on loan to Ray Adams when he was manager of ABC West Bromwich

When Sidney Clift died. His son in law Frank Holmes took over and in 1962 ish a falling out with Ken jones Senior happened over the future policy of the Circuit. Ken Jones wanted to maintain Clifton high standards of running the cinemas.. the other wanted to get them sold off a.s.a.p. and only do the basic maintenance.. The Clifton Circuit split in two... Depending on each cinemas shareholding Holmes side became Clifton Circuit Management Ltd., and Cinema Accessories Ltd. The other Half went with Ken Jones Snr., who joined up with the BT Davis Circuit for form "Theatre Administration Ltd., based at Regal buildings Leamington Spa
I worked for Sidney Clift in the late 50s. I worked at Cinema Accessories Ltd in Corporation Street in the Film Booking Dept. We did all the admin and for the Clifton Cinema Group.

Yes Mike, Ken Jones was the manager of Cinema Accessories when I worked there. I was only there a few months as my family moved out of Brum for a couple of years. I got the job through my Dad who had been Area Manager for the Clifton Circuit, but was based at the Clifton on Walsall Road in Great Barr when I was born. We lived opposite the cinema. Dad left the cinema business in the 1940s and we had a hotel in Handsworth. Ken Jones's mother was a permanent resident at one time.

img069 (2).jpg

Found this among my mother in law's photos. She worked at "The Bristol" just before WW2. A Christmas "do" perhaps, certainly a pro photo. Anyone know where, event etc?

Chris,

You are right about Tom Clarke being Albert Rogers son - in - law .. But I am right about Ray Adams being Alf Mays son-in-law I worked between ABC West Bromwich and ABC Walsall to help out Ray Adams on some promotion work and reliefs.. It was useful that Ray knew
about Bowling and Cinema Nothing like keeping it in the Family :eek:)

Mike,
wasn't Tom Clarke Albert Rogers Son In Law? and Ray Adams was just an ex ABC Manager who had experience in both cinemas and bowling who they employed as General Manager when Alf May retired ?

Back